Mezhukkupuratti can be made with many vegetables but the popular ones being Beans, Kaya(Raw Banana),Chena(Elephant Yam),Carrot,Achinga Payar(Long Beans) etc.
Beans Mezhukkupuratti Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: Kerala
French Beans – 1 and 1/4 cup
Salt – to taste
To grind to a coarse paste:
Small Onion – 6
Garlic Pearls – 3 big sized
Red Chilli – 1
Turmeric powder – a pinch
Coconut Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 3/4 tsp
Curry leaves – a small sprig
- Wash beans, trim the edges and chop them into 1/2 cm length pieces.Cook covered with enough water and salt until just cooked.Set aside.Grind the ingredients listed under ‘ to grind’ to a slightly coarse paste,Set aside.
- In a pan drizzle coconut oil add the items listed under ‘to temper’ let it splutter then add the onion paste and saute.Add required salt.
- Saute till raw smell completely leaves – drizzle little more oil of the masala becomes too dry.Then add cooked beans and toss it well.Saute for just 3 mins until the masalas coat well with beans.It shouldnt be dry, it should be slightly moist so switch off acordingly.
Serve hot / warm with rice and dal or with any variety rice.
- Dont add more water while cooking beans, Cook covered till the water is completely absorbed by the veggie.
- I made with french beans, you can use long beans too.
- Remove the fiber part before chopping the beans.
- Tempering with coconut oil is must for this recipe.
- Add cooked beans only the masalas raw smell completely leaves.
- Dont cook for more time after beans is added just toss around.
- The final dish should be moist and should have a glossy finish, it should not be dry.