Pottukadalai Murukku Recipe – Ingredients
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 25 mins | Makes : 15 small murukku
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Rice Flour / Readymade Idiyappam Flour – 1 cup
Split Roasted Gram(Pottukadalai) – 1/4 cup minus 1 tbsp
Butter – 1/2 tbsp
Jeera – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – to deep fry
Water – as required
- In a dry mixer grind fried gram to a fine powder. Now combine rice flour and roasted gram flour and sieve it.
- In a mixing bowl take the sieved flours , butter, jeera and salt and mix well with your hands first.Boil water when it starts to boil switch off.
- Add water little by little and mix it with a spatula. Once it is combined well use your hands to gather to form a soft dough.
- Take your murukku mould and fit in the star shaped disc.I used my single star shaped disc, you can use multi star press too.Grease the murukku press with little oil and fill it up with the dough.Now slowly press directly into oil or on a laddle like I did.
Check out a small video showing how to press murukku
- Heat oil – drop a small pinch of dough to check if the oil temperature is right…when the dough immediately raises to the top with a sizzle then your oil is ready.Flip the laddle to transfer the murukku into the oil and fry till golden brown.Drain in a tissue paper.
Cool down in an store in an airtight container.
- You can either use homemade rice flour or readymade idiyappam flour.You dont need to roast the idiyappam flour for this murukku.I used Nirampara brand idiyappam flour.
- Sieving both the flours is optional but I recommend doing it as it ensure even mixing.
- You can replace jeera with sesame seeds.
- If you prefer spicy murukku then use 1/2 tsp red chilli powder.Or grind 3 pearls garlic with 2 red chillies for flavoured murukku.
- You can even use thenkuzhal press for this murukku.You can make concentric circles or make irregular shapes like how I did. I made concentric circles for mullu murukku so wanted to try like this for puttukadali murukku just to show variation in the pics 🙂
- Adding more butter will make the murukku crumble and you will not get continuosu swirls while pressing it will break in between.When you press and if its too tight to press then your dough is very tight in consistency so drizzle little water and knead to get the desired consistency. And when you press if you dont get a long continuous line and if it tends to break then butter is more so dont panic – just little rice flour, water and knead it again.