And director Radha Mohan is my fav director , each movie carrying a clean story,message with his sense of humour…..totally my kind. I loved all his earlier releases esp Mozhi and Abhiyum Nanum is my fav anytime. I always wait for his movies to get released and finally got to watch Gauravam yesterday……though it didnt impress me much as of his earlier movies, should say it wasn’t a great disappointment. Now again the waiting starts for his next movie…:) And lets get on to learn how to make easy punjabi rajma masala recipe…
Rajma Masala Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: North Indian | Recipe Reference: Monsoon Spice
Rajma(Red Kidney Bean) – 3/4 cup
Garam Masala powder- 1/4 tsp(optional)
Kasoori Methi – 1 generous pinch
Cream / Milk – 1 tbsp(optional)
Coriander leaves – 2 tsp chopped
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tsp
Jeera – 1/2 tsp
To saute and grind:
Coriander seeds – 2 tsp
Red Chillies – 2
Onion – 1 medium sized
Tomatoes – 2 medium sized
Garlic – 4 cloves
Ginger – 1/2 inch piece
Cinnamon – 1/4 inch piece
Cloves – 2
- Soak rajma overnight atleast for 8 hrs, rinse it in water for 2-3 times.Then pressure cook along with water till immersing level until soft(I did for 7 whistles, depends on variety of rajma), Set aside.Reserve the drained rajma cooked water for later use.Heat oil in a pan add the ingredients listed under ‘to saute and grind’.
- Cook till raw smell of tomatoes leave and is slightly mushy. Cool down and then transfer it to a mixer.
- Grind it to smooth paste without adding water,set aside. Heat oil in a pan – temper jeera, let it splutter.Then add the onion tomato paste.
- Then add garam masala and saute for 2mins then add reserved rajma cooked water and let it boil for mins. Dilute it well as it has to cook for more time.Then add cooked rajma and required salt.
- Cover with a lid and let the gravy thicken and let rajma absorb the gravy well.Add milk/cream, give a quick stir and cook for 2mins. Finally garnish with coriander leaves and kasoori methi, quick stir and switch off.
- Pressure cooking time of rajma depends on the variety of rajma.
- Switch off the gravy consistency as per your liking.
- Adding cream and garam masala is purely optional but gives a nice aromatic flavour.
- The orginal recipe calls for tomato puree, I grinded the tomatoes along with the spices for convenience.
- Pressure cooking rajma till nice soft and then simmering in the gravy makes the bean absorb the gravy well.