Vegetable Soup Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Soup | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Moong Dal – 1/2 cup
Vegetables – 1/2 cup chopped(I used carrot and beans)
Big Onion – 1 chopped finely
Tomato – 1 chopped roughly
Garlic – 6 pods
Green chillies- 1 slitted into half
Coconut milk – 1/4 cup
Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
Water – 1 cup
Curry leaves – few
Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp chopped finely
Salt – to taste
Oil – 3 tsp
Bayleaf – 1
Cloves – 1
Cinnamon – 1/2 inch piece
Cardamom – 1
Whole Pepper – 1/2 tsp crushed roughly(optional)
Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Dry roast moong dal till nice aroma rises and it is golden brown,Set aside.Heat oil in a kadai – add the ingredients listed under ‘to temper’ let it splutter then add onion, garlic, green chillies and curry leaves and saute till golden brown.
- Then add tomatoes and saute till mushy and raw smell leaves. Then add the veggies, saute for 3 mins. Transfer this to a pan and add 1 cup of water and allow it to boil till the veggies are cooked till soft.
- Pressure cook moong dal in medium flame with 1 cup of water for 4-5 whistles till soft, smash it well with a laddle. Add this mixture to the boiled veggies.Simmer and cook for 5mins until dal combines well with the veggies.Add required salt.
- Add coconut milk and give a rolling single boil, sprinkle pepper powder then garnish with coriander leaves and switch it off.
Serve hot with rice or with bread as per your choice!
- Do not boil/cook more after coconut milk is added else it will start separating.
- Adding veggies is of your choice.You can use cabbage, potato etc.
- You can use a pinch of red chilli powder if you prefer a more spicy version.