Last Updated on December 7, 2020
Vazhakkai Poriyal Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Vazhakkai (Raw Banana) – 1(after chopping comes to 1 cup roughly)
Big Onion – 1 medium sized finely chopped
Coconut – 2.5 tbsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Hing – 1/8 tsp
Jeera – 1/2 tsp
Garlic – 1 whole
Urad Dal – 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves – a sprig
- Peel off the skin of vazhakkai and cut them into bite sized pieces.Boil water(just till immersing level) and add the chopped pieces into it along with little salt and turmeric powder.Cook until the veggie turns soft.Dont drain water.
- Keep the cooked veggie aside.Heat oil in a pan – add the items listed under ‘to temper’ let it splutter.Then add onion and saute till it turns transparent.
- Then add cooked vazhakkai,required salt and give a stir.Keep closed and cook for 2mins.Add coconut , give a quick stir and switch off.
Serve with rice and any kuzhambu of your choice!
- While peeling off the skin of plantain, grease your hands with oil to avoid stickiness.
- After cutting the veggie keep it immersed in water to avoid it from changing its color.
- Make sure you dont strain the water after cooking the veggie as all the nutrients will go off. I always add water till veggies immersing level while cooking and don’t drain the water.
- You can pressure cook the veggie too if you are confident about the cooking time.
- Do not overcook the veggie, it should be soft but hold its shape.
- I served this poriyal along with rice and arachuvita kuzhambu with mochai.
- Adding garlic helps to avoid gastric problems.
- Raw coconut is of less cholestrol so I always add coconut and immediately switch off for any poriyal. But if you are packing the poriyal then give a stir till coconut gets raosted then switch else it may get spoiled easily.