Seviyan Kheer is a special kheer made for Ramzan / Ramadan.It is almost similar to our vermicelli keer(semiya payasam) but slight variations in the making makes it all the more rich and creamy.I just made this kheer today and I am writing this post while I enjoy this kheer. 🙂 It is advisable to use a thick bottomed pan for making this kheer, so I used my ultra pressure pan, am using it for almost everything now especially for its thick base which avoids sticking at the bottom 🙂
Seviyan Kheer Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Dessert | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Vermicelli(thin variety) – 1 and 1/2 cups
Full Cream Milk(Boiled) – 3 cups
Ghee – 1.5 tbsp
Condensed Milk – 1 tbsp(I used homemade)
Cardamom powder – 1/2 heaped tsp
Sugar – 1/4 cup
Pistachios – 1/2 tbsp
Almonds – 1 tbsp chopped finely
Chiroli Nuts – 1 tsp
- I couldn’t get fine vermicelli variety so used this seviyan vermicelli which was meant for payasam.Measure vermicelli and set aside.Heat ghee in a pan – I used my pressure pan for this.
- Roast vermicelli in low flame till slightly golden.Then add 2 and 1/2 cups of milk.
- Cook it until it becomes soft and slightly mushy, it may take 7-10mins.At this stage add condensed milk.
- Then add sugar and give a quick mix.Add nuts, cardamom powder and mix well.Finally add reserved 1/2 cup milk and let it simmer for 5mins.Switch off
Serve hot/ chilled.
- I used full cream milk, so it was already thick.
- I used Aavin green packet milk.
- Make sure you add sugar inly after semiya is cooked.
- This kheer thicken after cooling so reserve and add little milk at the last stage while switching off.
- If you are using low fat milk then reduce and then add.
- I couldn’t find the fine thin strands of vermicelli so used it.If you get the fine variety then use it.
- You can replace cardamom powder with saffron too.