Sabudana khichdi recipe is a popular vrat recipe with no onion and garlic.Sago Khichdi is so filling for breakfast or even as a snack. I saw this recipe in a cookbook when I was having a pack of sago in hand so instantly tried it,. The crunch in the peanuts is the highlight of the recipe, do try this for yourself and for your kids.
Sabudana Khichdi Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Breakfast / Snack | Recipe Cuisine: North Indian
Sago(Sabudana) – 1 cup
Potato – 1 small sized
Peanuts – 1/8 cup
Coconut – 1 tbsp grated
Lemon juice – 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves – just to garnish
Sugar – 1/2 tsp(optional)
Salt – to taste
Oil / Ghee – 1.5 tbsp
Jeera – 1 tsp
Ginger – 1/2 tsp chopped
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Green Chillies – 1 small chopped finely
Sabudana Khichd Recipe Quick Video
- Take sago in a wide mixing bowl.Rinse it with water once.Soak sago for 2-3 hrs, the water level should be just for the sago to immerse fully, do not add more water.
- The water will be fully absorbed, rinse well.If you press a pearl it should be easily mashable.
- Rinse sago well with water and soak sago overnight with enough water just to immerse it well…Dont add more else it will become mushy.After the mentioned time if you see the sago must have absorbed the water well and if you press it with your fingers it will be soft, Set aside. Dry roast peanuts till golden brown then grind it coarsely just to break it into pieces, don’t powder it.
- Pressure cook potatoes until soft for 4 whistles, cube them and make it ready. In a pan – heat oil and add the items under ‘to temper’ let it splutter.Then add potatoes along with little salt, give a quick stir.Then add the sago pearls.
- Keep cooking stirring it until the sago starts turning transparent.Take care not to mush it up and also make sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom.Even if it starts sticking, just keep fluffing it up.Add crushed peanuts,sugar at this stage, give quick mix.
- Add lemon juice and garnish with grated coconut and coriander leaves.Mix well and switch off.
Serve hot either as a teatime snack or for breakfast!
- You can even soak overnight too but in that case you should keep checking the water level, do not let it dry up sprinkle water as and when needed.
- Take care while adding water to soak sago…this is a very important step….if you add more water then it will become mushy.
- Soaking time depends on the quality of sago some becomes soft even within 3-4 hrs so make sure to check it first.
- Make sure you switch off and leave 5 mins before lemon juice is added else there are chances for the upma to turn bitter.
- Toss the sago well to avoid sticking to the bottom.
- Don’t choose the nylon variety sago….the other bigger variety suits well for this upma.