Rava Kesari Recipe
Recipe Category: Dessert | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Rava(Sooji) – 1/2 cup
Sugar – 1/2 cup
Melted Ghee– 3 to 4 tbsp
Water – 1 and 1/4 cups
Kesari food color – a pinch
Saffron – 2 to 3 strands
Milk – 1 tbsp
Cashewnuts – 1 tbsp chopped
Raisin – 1 tsp
- Soak saffron strands in warm milk, set aside. Heat ghee and roast cashews, raisins till golden brown, set aside. In the same pan, roast the rava in low flame until nice aroma comes and when it starts to change color switch off and transfer it to a plate.
- Add water to the pan and allow it to boil, when it starts bubbling, add the rava little by little stirring continuously – this is the stage where you have to be very careful take care not to form lumps. Add the kesari color, keep stirring continuosly in medium flame.Keep covered for a minute until the rava gets cooked.
- Once the rava is cooked add the sugar, now it will start to loosen keep stirring continuously. It will start to bubble up when it becomes dry dont worry, keep stirring.
- Add ghee and keep stirring till it forms a mass leaving the sides of the pan. Add saffron milk, nuts and raisins, give a quick stir and switch it off. If you want to make pieces then transfer to a ghee greased plate and make pieces. I just transferred to my ramekin(ghee greased) and got a mould for the clicks 🙂
While serving you can add a tsp of ghee for the extra flavour and shine too 🙂
- Dont compromise on ghee as its the main ingredient in this recipe which makes it tasty.
- I added the ghee fully, you can reserve a tbsp and add it in the final stage while switching off.
- You can also add your favourite essence too pineapple essence goes well for kesari.
- If you like elachi flavour just skip saffron and add a generous pinch of cardamom powder.
- Make sure you add sugar only after rava is cooked fully else it will affect the kesari taste and texture.
- If you are a beginner, just do the whole process in medium low flame. Even if it forms lumps, dont worry just break it up.
- You can keep refrigerated for 1 or 2 days and while serving just heat it up , drizzle ghee give a quick stir and serve. You can skip milk and add more ghee if you want to increase shelf life.