I made this paal kesari and clicked it during last diwali but had other recipes on demand so held back this one for any other special occasion and now here is one to celebrate….Yes I am very happy to share that I am featured (along with other 3 bloggers) in Hindu Metro Plus Coimbatore Edition last Friday(21-02-2014)…Here is the linkof the article that you can read 🙂
Milk Rava Kesari Recipe
Recipe Category: Dessert | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Rava(Sooji) – 1/2 cup
Sugar – 3/4 cup
Milk – 2 cups
Melted Ghee – 2 tbsp
Cardamom powder – a tiny pinch
Saffron – 4 strands
Cashewnuts – 10
Raisin – 10
- Heat ghee and roast cashews, raisins till golden brown, set aside. In the same pan, roast the rava in low flame until nice aroma comes and when it starts to change color switch off and transfer it to a plate.Soak saffron strands in a tbsp of warm milk, set aside.
- Add milk to the pan and allow it to boil, when it starts bubbling, add the rava little by little stirring continuously – this is the stage where you have to be very careful take care not to form lumps. Add the kesari color,saffron milk keep stirring continuously in medium flame.Keep covered for a minute until the rava gets cooked.
- Once the rava is cooked add the sugar, now it will start to loosen up…keep stirring continuously. Until it is thick, add ghee and give a quick mix.Add cardamom powder and fried cashew raisins.Switch off.
Serve hot / warm!
- Don’t compromise on ghee as its the main ingredient in this recipe which makes it tasty.
- Kesari thickens with time so switch it off accordingly.
- I added yellow food color, but you can skip that too.
- If you want it more sweet add 1 cup instead of 3/4 cup.
- You can also add your favourite essence too but I love the plain milk flavour the best.
- If you like elachi flavour more, just skip saffron and add a generous pinch of cardamom powder.
- Make sure you add sugar only after rava is cooked fully else it will affect the kesari taste and texture.
- If you are a beginner, just do the whole process in medium low flame. Even if it forms lumps, dont worry just break it up.
- You can keep refrigerated for 1 or 2 days and while serving just heat it up , drizzle ghee give a quick stir and serve. Add more ghee if you want to increase shelf life.