Pottukadalai Urundai Recipe
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Pottukadalai(Fried Gram Dal) – 1 cup
Jaggery – 1/2 cup levelled
Water – 1/4 cup
Cardamom powder – a generous pinch
Ghee – just to grease your hands
- Soak jaggery in warm water(till immersing level) , crush it well. Then heat it up until it is slightly thick (no string consistency needs to be checked).Strain and keep aside.
- Measure fried gram dal and keep it ready.Heat up jaggery syrup, let it bubble and become thick.
- Consistency check : Keep a seperate plate ready filled with little water.Take a drop of jaggery syrup and put it in water, it should stand firm and not dissolve as shown below. It should form a hard ball when you roll it with your fingers
- Switch off.Add cardamom powder and fried gram dal and mix well.Mix such that jaggery is evenly coated.
- I used my measuring spoon to scoop out even sized balls.Scoop and then roll using your palms.Cool down and store in airtight container.
Serve as a snack.
- Once the desired consistency is reached switch off and then add dal, this is to avoid the consistency to pass to next stage.
- Be careful in checking the consistency else making them into balls will be tough.
- If it hardens in the end for the last few balls then heat up the mixture for a minute, jaggery will melt ten you can make balls.