Nel Pori Urundai Ingredients:
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Pori / Puffed rice – 3 and 1/2 cups
Jaggery – 1/2 cup
Water – 1/4 cup or little less(It should be just for the level of jaggery to immerse)
Cardamom powder – a generous pinch
Ghee – 1 tsp to grease hands
- Add 1/2 cup of water to jaggery and heat it up until it nicely bubbles and is thick more like honey in consistency. Strain to remove impurities and set the jaggery syrup aside.
- Remove the nel(the husk) from the pori and get it ready.
- Then heat up the jaggery syrup and let it to boil.Consistency check : Keep a seperate plate ready filled with little water.Take a drop of jaggery syrup and put it in water, if it gets dissolved as shown then let it boil for few more deconds.When the syrup is dropped in water, it should stand firm and not dissolve as shown below.
- First it will form soft loose ball then forms a firm ball but not loose when you roll it.When this consistency is reached, add ghee,dry ginger powder and elachi powder.
- Add pori and switch off.Now stir well, so that pori gets completely coated with the jaggery syrup.
- By the time of stirring, the hotness would be hand bearable.Grease your palms with ghee or oil and roll them into tight balls taking care not to break the pori.
Store in airtight container and enjoy!
- Make sure to clean the nel pori first then start with the pori making process.
- Be careful in checking the consistency else making them into balls will be tough.
- Be little quick while shaping the balls.
- You can make pori urundai will soft ball consistency too.I have made both with soft and hard ball consistencies, both taste good.
- If it hardens in the end for the last few balls then heat up the mixture for a minute to loosen then make balls.
- The color of the pori urundai totally depends on the jaggery variety. The method is the same for making aval pori urundai and also kadala urundai.