Last Updated on December 7, 2020
Kadalai Urundai Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Peanuts – 1 and 1/4 cups
Jaggery – 1/2 cup leveled
Hot Water – 1/4 cup
Cardamom powder – a generous pinch
Ghee or Rice flour – just to grease your hands
- Dry roast the peanuts until golden brown – I used deskinned variety so just halved each peanut and started to roast it. If you are using the skin variety dry roast until the skin has black spots. Then rub it with your hands and phew it to remove the skin. Then halve each peanut then continue with the process – Set aside.Add the powdered jaggery hot water and mash it well until its completely dissolved. Then starin in a non stick pan to remove impurities.
- Keep in medium low flame and keep stirring.The jaggery syrup will start bubbling up, add cardamom powder and give a quick stir.
- Keep a plate/bowl with water say 1 tbsp ready – when the jaggery syrup starts thickening just pour a drop in the plate containing water. At a stage the poured drop will not dissolve and will stand firm.At this stage try to roll it into a ball, it will form into a soft ball – that is the first stage dont get misleaded with this stage…It will be chewy when you form balls at this stage. Slowly if you leave for few more mins, it will start to roll into a hard ball…this is the stage we require. , give a quick stir then add peanuts and immediately switch off the stove.
- Mix well, meanwhile grease your hands with rice flour / ghee and allow it to cool down for a minute then start forming balls. You can even rinse your hands with cold water and then start forming balls which is even more easier. If you are not able to form the last few balls dont worry just heat it up in the stove the jaggery will start to melt then you can make balls.
Cool down and store it in airtight container.
- Be quick after the hard ball consistency is reached. It will be very hot so be very careful.
- If you let it cool down for more time forming balls will be not be possible.
- Rice flour can also be greased in your hands, it helps to bear the hotness. But I personally feel the glossy finish will be missing when we use rice flour.
- Stays crisp for about a week if stored in an airtight container.
- Using hot water to dissolve powdered jaggery makes the process quick.