Coconut Burfi Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sweet | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Coconut grated – 1 cup
Sugar – 3/4 cup
Water – 1/4 cup
Cashews broken – 1 tbsp
Ghee – 2 tsp
Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp [optional]
- Add little ghee, roast the broken cashews till golden brown and keep aside.Grease a plate/tray with ghee and keep it ready. Take wide bottomed non stick pan add sugar and water mix well till sugar dissolves completely and starts bubbling.
- Keep stirring continuosly, cook till a single string consistency : If you take a drop between your thumb and index finger you can see a single string forming as shown in the 2nd thumbnail – thats the right consistency. At this stage add coconut.You can even grind the coconut coarsely before adding it.
- Combine and keep stirring till bubbles star forming at the edges. At this stage add ghee.
- Then add cashews and cardamom powder and give a quick stir. After 3-5mins it will start thickening and form a mass without sticking and starts coming off easily from the sides of the pan – At this stage switch it off.
- Transfer the mixture to the tray and cut into squares when its still warm. Cool down completely then store it in airtight container.
I love it when it still warm, juicy yummy burfis!!!
- While scrapping the coconut take care not to scrap till the brown sides.If you like ur burfi to be very fine then grind the coconut once in mixie, but I prefer the orginal coarse texture so didnt do it.
- Testing the sugar syrup is not that difficult, First the sugar syrup becomes very sticky only then single string consistency is reached. If you are a first timer like me check it every now and then till the desired consistency is reached.
- You can even roast the coconut separately before adding to the sugar syrup.
- When the desired stage is reached act very fast and transfer to the greased plate, else the burfis would become hard.
- Make sure you cool them only for 10 mins else marking pieces will be difficult.