Makar sankranti recipes you can try easily. This is a collection of pongal festival or makar sankranti recipes which covers both South Indian and North Indian food.
The collection includes sakkarai pongal, paal pongal, vellai pongal, kalkandu pongal and more varieties of sweet pongal recipes and few snacks like vadai and lunch recipes too.
Check more pongal recipes here.
Sweet pongal or sakkarai pongal is my most favorite and I make it atleast once a month.
Sakkarai pongal recipe a delicious Indian sweet made with rice, jaggery, moong dal, ghee and nuts. Easy sweet pongal recipe made in pressure cooker. Traditionally sweet pongal is made with just jaggery rice and moong dal as main ingredients. Milk is optional to add or not. We serve sakkarai pongal in vazhailai(banana leaf).
During poojas or any auspicious days we can make this sweet pongal and offer as neiveidhyam for god. Many south indian household have the custom of making sweet pongal on fridays apart from festival days like pongal.
Pongal can be made using pressure cooker or bronze pot. The traditional method of making sweet pongal in villages is to use brass or mud pots, they use viragu adupu(woodfire) to make it.
What is Makar sankranti?
Makar sankranti is a festival in Hindu calendar which falls on January 14th or 15th every year. Makar Sankranti festival is dedicated to Sun God. We call it by many names and is a multi cultural festival celebrated all over India.
Makar Sankranti is celebrated in the month of January every year to mark the winter solstice. It is one of the popular and largely celebrated festivals in India.
Pongal Festival Recipes
- Sakkarai pongal recipe a delicious Indian sweet made with rice, jaggery, moong dal, ghee and nuts. Easy sweet pongal recipe made in pressure cooker. It is also called sweet pongal.
- Traditional sakkarai pongal recipe made in pot. We usually use brass pot to make sweet pongal each year.The traditional method of making sweet pongal in villages is to use brass or mud pots, they use viragu adupu(woodfire) to make it.
- Vellai pongal is milk pongal cooked in milk and garnished with ghee.THis pongal has just the milk flavour and a slight hint of ghee, tastes so good with puli curry.
- Kalkandu pongal recipe a sweet pongal made using rice,moong dal and kalkandu or sugar candy as sweetner instead of jaggery. A very tasty, delicious pongal made using kalkandu or sugar candy.
- Millet sweet pongal recipe a healthy delicious sweet pongal made with a mix of millets like kodo millet and little millet.
- Aval sakkarai pongal recipe an insant easy sweet pongal made with flattended rice,moong dal, jaggery and milk.
- Pongal Kuzhambu Recipe a traditional tangy sidedish for sweet pongal and milk pongal. We call it pongal pulicurry.
- Karupatti pongal recipe pongal made with rice,dal and palm jaggery to sweeten.
- Lemon rice recipe with step by step photos. Lemon rice is one of the most popular south indian variety rice. Lemon rice is apt for travel as shelf life is more.
- Raw mango rice recipe a flavourful tangy rice perfect for lunchbox and travel
- Coconut rice recipe traditional south indian coconut rice with step by step pictures and quick video.
- Sabudana vada or Sago vada is one of the popular Maharashtrian recipes made during Navaratri fasting(vrat)
- Coconut ladoo recipe a quick instant ladoo made using just 3 ingredients coconut, condensed milk and cardamom powder.
Tried these recipes? Do let me know how you liked it.Tag us on Instagram @sharmispassions and hash tag it on #sharmispassions.