This Karthigai Pori is made with Nel Pori which is not the usual pori(puffed rice), it is not crispy and has a crinkled texture with a thicker skin.I made this today and so loved it that I finished almost half of it myself 😉
Karthigai Pori Recipe Ingredients:
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Nel Pori / Puffed rice – 3 cups
Jaggery – 1/2 cup
Water – 1/4 cup or little less than that (It should be just for the level of jaggery to immerse)
Cardamom powder – a pinch
Dry Ginger powder – a generous pinch
Fried Gram Dal – 1/4 cup
Coconut – 3 tbsp chopped bits
Ghee – 1 tsp to grease hands
- Remove the nel skin(the husk) from the pori and make it ready.
- Fry coconut bits in ghee till golden,add this and fried gram dal to nel pori.Mix well and Set aside.
- Measure jaggery and add it in a pan, add water and dissolve it well.
- Heat it up for 2mins just for the jaggery to get dissolved.Strain to remove impurities.
- Heat it up again and keep cooking,add elachi powder.Consistency check : Keep a separate plate ready filled with little water.Take a drop of jaggery syrup and put it in water, it should stand firm and not dissolve as shown below.This is enough no need to check rolling and all.
- When this consistency is reached, add cardamom powder,dry ginger powder,pori and switch off.Mix well so that the syrup coats the pori evenly.Let the mixture cool down then spread in a plate.
Store in airtight container and enjoy!
- Do not add more water , if you add more water then it will take time to reach the desired consistency.
- It may look sticky aftersometime it tends to seperate.
- If you want to shape them into balls then check for the consistency as shown here then add pori.
- The color of the Karthigai Pori Recipe totally depends on the jaggery variety. I used paagu vellam here, you can use the yellow variety too.
- Use a wide bottomed pan so that mixing is easy.