Cooking basmati rice perfectly is the key to any good fried rice or pulao. Many of my relatives,friends and readers requested / enquired about the brand of basmati rice and method I use to cook basmati rice.I admit yes the brand does matters but the method of cooking is all the more important too so thought to share a separate post for it so that it will be helpful for beginners.I’ve always wondered how the rice in restaurants alone is cooked so soft yet grain separated as during my initial days of cooking I always overcook / undercook basmati rice. At home we use pot method for cooking rice daily so pressure cooking rice was always a nightmare….Years back on a casual note when I told this to Raji (Raks) she gave me tips and exact measures for cooking basmati rice in pressure cooker which till now I am following and getting great results.If anyone tells I cook the perfect grain separated basmati rice I owe all the appreciations to her.Thank you so much Raji, you are always my cooking guru!! 🙂
I am no expert just giving the method and tips that I’ve experienced. I have given both the methods including pressure cooker and pot method.
Check out Fried Rice and Pulao Recipes that I’ve posted already.
How to cook basmati rice – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Basmati Rice – 1 cup
Water – 1.5 cups to 2 cups (Check my notes)
- Take basmati rice in a bowl , rinse it well then add water and soak it for atleast 30-45mins.
- Drain water and add basmati rice to pressure cooker.I soaked it for around 40mins so added 1 and 1/2 cups water.
- Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles , for first one whistle you can cook in medium flame then lower in low medium and give 3 more whistles.Switch off.Let the pressure completely release by itself.Then open and set aside for 5-10mins.
- Fluff it with fork.If you are planning to make fried rice then add a tsp of olive oil and fluff it up.
- Boil 4 cups of water for 1 cup of rice.Once it starts boiling vigorously, add the rice(rinse it well and then add).I cooked it for pulao so added all the whole spices like cinnamon,cardamom,cloves and bayleaf along with it.If you prefer you can add required salt too.Simmer the rice on a low flame uncovered.
- Cook till soft yet grains separated.Drain water immediately and spread the rice it in a plate and let ti cool down.Then fluff it up.
- I usually use pressure cooker method for making fried rice and the pot method for making pulao or jeera rice.As I feel the grains easily break when the pot method is used so I wouldnt recommend it for fried rice but still its your preference.
- If you are soaking for just 15-20mins then add 2 cups of water.If you are soaking for 30mins and more add 1.5 cups.
- Soaking for more times yields softer rice and gives perfect grain separated rice.
- I use India Gate or attimes buy Double Deer when India gate is out of stock.
- While fluffing fluff it up with a fork carefully , don’t mash the rice.
- I use the same measures and method for cooking biryani too except for non-veg biryani.