Tomato Kurma Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Tomato – 3 big sized roughly chopped
Onion – 1 medium sized chopped finely
Red Chilli powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves – 2 tsp finely chopped
Salt – to taste
To grind to a paste:
Coconut – 1/4 cup
Fennel Seeds – 3/4 tsp
Ginger – 1/4 inch piece
Green Chillies – 1
Roasted gram – 1 tbsp
Poppy seeds – 1 tsp
Cooking oil – 3 tsp
Cinnamon – 1/4 inch
Cloves – 2
Cardamom – 1
Garlic – 1 tbsp
- In a mixer add all the ingredients listed under ‘to grind’ along with little water and grind to a smooth paste.Set aside.Heat oil in a pan – add the ingredients listed under ‘to temper’ let it splutter.
- Then add garlic let it slightly brown, then add onion and fry till golden brown.Then add tomatoes and fry till mushy.
- Keep cooking till raw smell of tomatoes leave.Then add red chilli and coriander powders with little water and let it boil for few mins.
- Then add the coconut paste and let it boil(add water if consistency is thick).While oil separates, garnish with coriander leaves and switch off.
Serve with idiyappam / idli or dosa.
- Make sure you saute tomatoes till raw smell leaves.
- The orginal recipe called for more coconut(1/2 cup) but I reduced coconut and added more tomatoes instead. As per the orginal recipe, the colour the kurma is light orange but since I added more tomatoes and also the variety of tomatoes I used was deep red I got a deep orange color kurma which I am really happy about as it is very appealing…Isnt it?! 🙂
- The spices should be subtle so don’t add more than the mentioned amount.