Potato Murukku Recipe – Ingredients
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 25 mins | Makes : 12-15 small murukku
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Homemade Rice Flour / Readymade Idiyappam Flour – 1 cup
Boiled Potato – 1 medium sized
Butter – 1.5 tbsp
Jeera – 3/4 tsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – to deep fry
Water – as required
- Pressure cook potatoes for atleast 5 whistles so that its soft,Peel off the skin and cool down.In a mixer add the potatoes and grind it without adding water to a smooth paste.In a mixing bowl add flour,butter,jeera,hing,required salt and potato paste.
- First mix it well, then add water little by little to form a smooth nonsticky dough.Take your murukku press.I used my thenkuzhal press.
- Grease the murukku press with little oil, then fill the dough and start pressing.I usually press in 2 laddles and flip it in oil.Heat oil , check by adding a pinch of dough if it raises immediately with a shh sound then the oil is ready.Now carefully flip over the prepared murukkus and deep fry.Turn over and cook.
- Deep fry till slightly browned.Drain in tissue paper.Repeat the process until the entire dough finishes.Drain in tissue paper.
Cool down then store in an airtight container.
- You can either use homemade rice flour or readymade idiyappam flour.You dont need to roast the idiyappam flour for this murukku.I used Nirapara brand idiyappam flour.You can even use homemade rice flour if you have it ready.
- If you are comfortable and can handle the heat, you can press the murukku directly in oil.
- You can even add 2-3 murukkus at a time while frying.My kadai was small and I pressed a little medium sized murukku so I added one/ two at a time.
- .You can replace jeera with sesame seeds.
- Cook in low medium flame and regulate heat as and when it goes high / low.
- If you prefer spicy murukku then use 1/2 tsp red chilli powder.Or grind 3 pearls garlic with 2 red chillies for flavoured murukku.
- Adding more butter will make the murukku crumble and you will not get continuous swirls while pressing it will break in between.When you press and if its too tight to press then your dough is very tight in consistency so drizzle little water and knead to get the desired consistency. And when you press if you dont get a long continuous line and if it tends to break then butter is more so dont panic – just little rice flour, water and knead it again.