Curd Semiya is best suited for ending guest dinners and parties, a great alternative to curd rice.Curd semiya can have many variations with carrots, pomegranates etc but I love it this way with a simple tadka. I will post semiya bagala bath recipe soon.Few weeks back , I made semiya biryani and curd semiya for lunch and everyone loved the combo so much, and I ate it heartily too 🙂 I was in a hurry that day to click semiya biryani, so couldnt reclick this thayir semiya, so I made it again today and clicked it.
Thayir Semiya Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Vermicelli / Semiya – 1 cup
Chilled curd – 3/4 cup
Milk – 1/4 cup
Cashews – 4 whole broken
Ghee – 1/2 tsp
Coriander Leaves – to garnish
Water – 2 cups
Salt to taste
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Urad Dal – 1/2 tsp
Green chillies – 1 finely chopped
Curry Leaves – a small sprig
Ginger – 1/2 tsp finely chopped
- Dry roast vermicelli till slightly golden.Set aside.Get ready with other ingredients.
- Boil water. then add roasted vermicelli.Let it cook for few mins.
- Cook until semiya becomes soft.Drain water and set aside to cool down completely.Fluff it with a fork when it is still warm else it will become very sticky.Heat ghee in a tadka pan , fry cashews till golden brown,Set aside.
- Heat oil in the same pan and add the ingredients listed under ‘to temper’, let it splutter, switch off.In a wide mixing take cooked semiya, add curd,milk,tadka and fried cashews along with required salt.Give a quick mix.Garnish with coriander leaves.
- If it gets too dry, while serving add little milk / curd to loosen it up.
- I add milk to avoid sourness but thats purely optional.If you are making and serving it atonce then add only curd.
- Curd Semiya thickens with time and semiya tends to absorb the curd.So reserve little curd for serving time.
- You can even garnish with grated carrots.