Vazhakkai Varuval is a popular indian sidedish for rice along with sambar or any kuzhambu varieties. It can pair up well with any variety rice, chapathi etc. Now lets get on to learn Vazhakkai Varuval Recipe with step by step pictures and video.
About Vazhakkai Varuval
I always love to try new recipes and when I saw this Vazhakkai Varuval Recipe in a chettinad cook book long back jotted down and kept and finally tried it this time. This is spicy, crisp and so flavourful making it perfect to go with rice.
The speciality of this dish is that the spices are so aromatic which makes this Vazhakkai Varuval more flavourful and tasty. I love it with Sambar rice and Curd rice.
This Vazhakkai Varuval tastes more or less like the ones we taste in marriage functions and we all loved it so much.
Vazhakkai Varuval Ingredients
- Raw Banana : Choose slightly tender raw banana for best taste and flavour.
- Spices : Aromatic spices like fennel seeds, ginger, garlic, pepper along with red chillies are added to grind.
- Tempering : A basic tadka or tempering is made along with onion. I have used small onion for best flavour, and I would recommend adding shallots or small onion. But if you don’t have then use fiinely chopped big onion.
- Spice Mix : A spice mix is made by mixing all the spice powderes like red chilli powder, sambar powder, coriander powder etc.
Vazhakkai Varuval 2 Methods
- Method 1 : The first method is a bit elaborate one and takes time to cook which I have shared below but tastes so flavourful perfect to go with rice.
- Method 2: The second method I always end up making when I am crushed for time especially for kids lunchbox. At times if I have no time or feel lazy to cook I make this for lunch along with lemon rice and my day is sorted. I have shared this recipe here for easy reference.
Tried this Vazhakkai Varuval Recipe ? Do let me know how you liked it. Also tag us on Instagram @sharmispassions and hash tag it on #sharmispassions.
Vazhakkai Varuval | Raw Banana Fry
- 2 nos raw banana
- 3 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
To coarse grind:
- 3 nos garlic
- 1/4 inch piece ginger
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 no red chilli
- few curry leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp split urad dal
- a small sprig curry leaves
- a pinch hing
- 6 nos small onion chopped roughly
- Trim edge of raw banana peel the skin. Cut into slightly thin strip as shown.
- Immediately add to water to avoid darkening, Set aside.
- To a mixer add all the ingredients listed under 'to coarse grind' and grind it coarse.
- To a bowl : add red chilli powder, sambar powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder, mix well and set aside.
- Add 3 tbsp oil - drain water from raw banana and deep fry in batches.
- Fry until slightly crisp and golden, set aside.
- In the remaining oil ad the items listed under 'to temper' add small onion.
- Saute until transparent, add the spice mix along with salt, add fried raw banana.
- Toss well, Cook covered give a quick saute and switch off. Serve Vazhakkai Varuval with rice meal!
- Do not over fry raw banana just until slightly golden is enough.
- Curry masala powder can be repalce by sambar powder.
How make Vazhakkai Varuval
- Trim edge of raw banana peel the skin.Cut into slightly thin strip as shown.
- Immediately add to water to avoid darkening,Set aside.To a mixer add all the ingredients listed under ‘to coarse grind’ and grind it coarse.
- To a bowl : add red chilli powder,sambar powder,turmeric powder and coriander powder, mix well and set aside.Add 3 tbsp oil – drain water from raw banana and deep fry in batches.
- Fry until slightly crisp and golden, set aside.In the remaining oil ad the items listed under ‘to temper’ add small onion.
- Add the grinded items saute until raw smell leaves. Then add the spice mix along with salt, add fried raw banana.
- Toss well, Cook covered give a quick saute and switch off. Enjoy with hot rice and sambar!
- If you do not want to deep fry then you can shallow fry raw banana and proceed the slight crispness will be missing.
- Adding small onion gives this dish a nice flavour and crunch do do not miss it.
- Adjust spicelevel according to your taste and preference.
- If you choose tender raw banana keep an eye as it cooks faster.
You can alternatively shallow fry raw banana instead of deep frying.
Adjust spices according to your taste, this recipe is medium spicy.
Serving and Storage
Vazhakkai Varuval goes well with rice and sambar or along with lemon rice, coconut rice or any other variety rice. It serves as a great sidedish for curd rice too.
You can store this vazhakkai varuval in fridge for 2 days, slightly heat it up while serving. If you feel it is too dry then sprinkle little water and heat it up to get perfect slightly moist Vazhakkai Varuval.
Vazhakkai Varuval | Easy Raw Banana Fry
This Raw Banana Fry is very easy and quick to make perfect to pack for lunchbox. You can even cut, clean raw banana the previous day, marinate with spices and keep it ready for frying the next day.
I usually make this for mittus lunchbox and thats how she started liking this veggie.I never had the plan of posting this but many of my friends and readers asked to post the recipe after seeing this pic, so clicked it today.
- 1 medium sized raw banana(vazhakkai)
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/4 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
- salt to taste
- 3 to 4 tsp oil
How to make Raw Banana Fry
- Rinse raw banana, trim the edges and peel off the skin using a peeler.Slice into thin rounds.
- Immediately soak in water to avoid darkening.Now in a mixing bowl add all the spice powders.Add 3 tsp oil.
- Mix well.Drain water from raw banana, wipe off excess moisture using a tissue paper.Now add it to the mixing bowl.
- Mix well so that the spice powders are evenly coated.Heat a dosa tawa and arrange the slices on it.
- Cook covered for 2 mins then drizzle oil, flip and cook until nicely browned and crisp.Keep in low flame flip and cook.
Serve hot. Enjoy hot or warm with rice and sambar.