Chettinad Small Potato Roast is a flavorful roast with baby potatoes and freshly ground masala powder. Let us learn to make Chettinad Small Potato Roast with step by step pictures and video.
I wanted to try this recipe as I had a written copy of it as it sounded so good wanted to try and taste it.Finally it happened and am so glad it turned out soo tasty.
I always jump in joy to use new cookwares and when the cookware is iron its double happiness..I got this kadai from Zishta.Zishta’s main specialty is that the products come handcrafted from traditional artisans and Zishta serves as a bridge between the customers and the authentic craftsmen.This kadai is very heavy so the potato roast could be done effortlessly, also there was no need to hold while cooking as its heavy it doesn’t move at all 🙂 The taste of the roast is soo good too.Make sure to get iron cookwares a bit heavy so that it lasts long and food will not stick much.Though we have the hassle of carrying the weight, we need to compromise it to get best results.
I am so glad to get this kadai and am sure this will be used often in my kitchen 🙂 Thank you Zishta for this rustic handmade kadai!
If you have any more questions about this Chettinad Small Potato Roast Recipe do mail me at [email protected]. In addition, follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, Youtube and Twitter .
Tried this Chettinad Small Potato Roast Recipe ? Do let me know how you liked it. Also tag us on Instagram @sharmispassions and hash tag it on #sharmispassions.
Chettinad Small Potato Roast Recipe
- 400 gms small potatoes
- salt to taste
- a pinch turmeric powder
To roast and grind:
- 2 nos cloves
- one 1/2 inch cinnamon
- 4 small red chillies
- few nos curry leaves
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp coconut
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp urad dal
- few nos curry leaves
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 cup small onion sliced
- Pressure cook baby potatoes along with salt and turmeric powder for 3 whistles in medium flame.
- Once pressure releases, open check with fork to see if its cooked. If its too big cut into half, prick with fork and set aside.
- In a kadai add all the items listed under to 'roast and grind' except coconut.
- Dry roast until slightly golden then add coconut.
- Roast until golden brown. Cool down completely then grind to a semi coarse mixture. Set aside.
- Heat oil in the same kadai- add the items listed under 'to temper'.
- Let it splutter then add ginger garlic paste, small onion and salt. Saute till onions turn transparent. Then add cooked baby potatoes.
- Toss well for 3-5 mins in low flame. Then add the chettinad masala powder. Toss well and cook for few mins in low medium flame.
- Keep tossing. Once the masala is fully coated cook covered for 2 mins. Then open roast well.
- Serve Chettinad Smalla Potato Roast hot with rice and sambar/rasam.
- Baby potatoes should be cooked soft and pricked with fork or tooth pick sothat the masalas get inside them.
- Do not make the baby potatoes mushy.Should be cooked perfectly not too hard not too mushy only then the masalas will get binded well.
How to make Chettinad Small Potato Roast
- Pressure cook baby potatoes along with salt and turmeric powder for 3 whistles in medium flame.Once pressure releases, open check with fork to see if its cooked.
- If its too big cut into half, prick with fork and set aside.In a kadai add all the items listed under to ‘roast and grind’ except coconut.Dry roast until slightly golden then add coconut.
- Roast until golden brown.Cool down completely then grind to a semi coarse mixture.Set aside.Heat oil in the same kada- add the items listed under’to temper’.
- Let it splutter then add ginger garlic paste,small onion and salt.Saute till onions turn transparent.Then add cooked baby potatoes.
- Toss well for 3-5 mins in low flame.Then add the chettinad masala powder.Toss well and cook for few mins in low medium flame.
- Keep tossing.Once the masala is fully coated cook covered for 2 mins.Then open roast well.
- Serve hot with rice and sambar/rasam.
Potato Curry Recipe
Potato Curry is one of the easy and flavourful recipe which goes well with both rice and chapati. I have already posted a basic simple version of potato curry and potato fry and this one is a chettinad version of potato podi curry.I happened to see this in a chettinad cookbook and tried it yesterday, came out too good.
Potato – 5 medium sized
Onion – 1 chopped lengthwise
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
Red Chilli powder – 1/4 tsp(optional)
Oil – 1 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Curry Leaves – few
Red Chillies – 1 halved
To saute and grind
Black Pepper – 1/2 tsp
Coriander seeds – 1/2 tsp
Red Chillies – 2
Chana Dal – 1 tsp
Urad Dal – 1.5 tsp
Fennel Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Cinnamon – 1/4 inch piece
Cloves – 2
1.Dry roast the ingredients listed under ‘to roast and grind’ till golden brown and grind it to a semi coarse powder,set aside.Pressure cook potatoes along with required water for 5-6 whistles or until soft.
2.Peel off the skin and chop them into bite sized cubes, set aside.Heat oil in a kadai(use iron or indalium preferably) – Add the ingredients listed under ‘to temper’ allow it to splutter. Then add ginger garlic paste,onions and fry until slightly browned.
3.Then add chopped potatoes along with red chilli powder, spice powders and required salt…sprinkle little water for the masala to coat well give a quick stir. Keep cooking till its roasted well.Switch off.
Tasty ,flavorful small potato roast ready! Do try this and let me know how you like it!
- Use iron kadai or indolium kadai for cooking as the veggie gets more roasted in these type of vessels.
- The number of whistles for pressure cooking depends purely on the potato…so adjust according to your cooker and potato.
- You can make the spice powder well in advance and store it in bulk too and add it for making vazhakai, brinjal podi curry or use it for any veggie of your choice.
- If the curry sticks to the pan, add more oil.
Leave a Reply