Chana dal payasam with step by step photos.Chana dal is known as kadalai paruppu in tamil.This paruppu payasam is so tasty amd quick to make.
Onam is fast approaching and I wanted to post a payasam recipe so made this quick payasam few days back.As I have already posted moong dal payasam I made this chana dal payasam for onam special.
I have one more onam sadya recipe to be posted which I will post on Monday.A little busy this weekend as I am here in Chennai for a short 3 day vacation.Chennai welcomed us this time with great showers.Looking forward for meet ups with friends and shopping too.:)
Chana dal payasam recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Dessert | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Chana dal – 1/2 cup
Powdered Jaggery – 1/2 cup
Thick Coconut Milk – 1/2 cup
Milk – 2 tbsp
Cashews – 7 broken
Edible camphor / Dry ginger powder – a small pinch
Ghee – 2 tsp
- Soak jaggery in warm water(till immersing level) , crush it well. Then heat it up until it is slightly thick (no string consistency needs to be checked) It should be of idli batter consistency.Strain and keep aside.
- Dry roast chana dal until it turns golden brown.In a pressure cooker add chana dal with water till immersing level and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles, dont make it too mushy,Set aside.Heat ghee in a pan add cahews and fry till golden brown, set aside.
- Heat jaggery syrup for 2mins until it starts thickening(no need to check for any consistency)….add chana dal at this stage.Mash it up with a laddle.Once jaggery syrup is well combined with the dal, add coconut milk.
- Once it starts to boil, add dry ginger powder / edible camphor, milk and give a quick stir. Switch off and add ghee fried cashews.
Serve hot / cold as per your preference.
- Dont boil for more time after coconut milk is added else it will start to curdle.
- Adjust jaggery as per your sweet level, we liked ours a bit sweeter.
- After you add dhal to jaggery syrup do the whole process in low flame and keep stirring.
- As with any payasam it thickens with time so switch off a bit runny.
- Adding dry ginger powder gives a great flavour. I have tried with edible camphor and it tasted great too.