Cabbage Thoran Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: Kerala
Cabbage – 1.5 cups shredded
Small Onion – 7 sliced
Coconut(grated) – 1/4 cup
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Red Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp(optional)
Salt – to taste
Coconut Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 3/4 tsp
Jeera – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – a small sprig
Red Chillies – 2
Cabbage thoran recipe quick video
- Grate cabbage or chop them finely which is what I did. In a mixing bowl – add shredded cabbage,onion and turmeric powder and mix well,Set aside.
- In a pan heat oil – then add the items listed under ‘to temper’ let it splutter.Then add cabbage onion mixture and saute for 5-7 mins until raw smell leaves.
- Then add salt to taste and red chilli powder.Cook covered until it becomes slightly soft.Make sure that it doesnt get burnt at the bottom so stir it occasionally.
- Once cabbage is cooked and blended with the spices,finally add coconut give a quick stir and switch off.
Serve hot / warm with rice and sambar or with any variety rice.
- Cook covered or else sprinkle little water and cook.
- Adding red chilli powder is purely optional so you can skip it too.
- Adding coconut oil gives a great flavour to the curry.
- You can even mix curry leaves along with cabbage.