When you plan to start foods other than mothers feed it is always recommended to start with liquid foods as its easily digestable, then you can slowly move on to purees once the baby starts 5th month.Lentils are considered to be rich in protein and so this dal soup (paruppu thani) is ideal to start in the 4th month itself.It is ideal to give in the morning / noon.
Check other baby food recipes
But remember mothers feed is the best and its always good to start with other food only after the baby finishes 6 months.This 4-5 months baby food recipes will help those who are not able to breast feed due to personal / medical conditions.Always consult your paediatrician before introducing any new food.
Dal Soup – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Baby Food | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Toor Dal – 2 tbsp
Water – 1/2 cup
Jeera – 1/4 tsp
Hing – a tiny pinch
Turmeric powder – 1/8 tsp
Note : The quantity is just given for reference, adjust as per your baby needs
- Measure and take toor dal.Rinse it well with water atleast 2 times, then drain the water.
- Add it to a pressure cooker along with water,hing,jeera.
- And turmeric powder.Pressure cook for 4-5 whistles or until the dal turns soft and mushy.Cool down for few mins.
- Use a laddle to mash it up well,I used my mathu.Use a strainer and filter the water alone.
- Use a strainer and filter the water alone.Press it nicely with a spoon so that the juice is extracted completely.Discard the pulp.
- You can even replace toor dal with moong dal.If using roast till nice aroma comes then proceed.
- If its not hot, dont heat up the soup directly.Keep it inside boiling water to heat it up.
- You can even add a small garlic clove while pressure cooking.
- When you first start, start with liquid foods like vegetable filtered soups that helps in easy digestion.You can then move gradually to purees within a week or so.
- Don’t use a double cloth strainer.
- I am not against adding salt but its upto you to decide whether to introduce salt / sweet to your baby.But as I started weaning foods only after 6months I ocassionally add salt for his food, but I suggest to skip it atleast till 6months completion.
- You can even use a combination of dals for this soup.
- You can use masoor dal.
- Rinse the dal well before pressure cooking.