Cake Balls – that sounds tempting right?! When I was planinng and listing down recipes to try for christmas , cake balls had the first priority as it was easy to make and no risk involved as I wanted to play safe for the first try….I just modified my cake pops recipe and made a easy version of cake balls with easily available ingredients in your pantry.As I expected they were quite delicious and mittu loved it to the core….She has not yet started liking nuts so made one nut coating and the other 2 topping I made it to her liking and she was extremely happy to see the colorful cake balls when she was back from school. She relished each ball and the expression on her face said it all 🙂
I made only 1 cake ball with cocoa coating as I know no one at home likes the bitterness…….but I just love it so made one for my sake and enjoyed it thoroughly……I loved nutella truffles to the core and am waiting to try chocolate truffles soon.
I am leaving to Chennai tomorrow for a short visit to my sil’s and perimas place so will not be able to respond back to queries on time…So kindly excuse will reply to them once I am back. Hopefully the posts should reach you in time….This is the last post in the christmas special series this year…will be back with usual routine recipes soon and there is a surprise waiting for you all readers for this new year…Keep guessing !!
Cake Balls Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Dessert | Recipe Cuisine: World
Vanilla Sponge Cake – 1.5 cups crumbled
Coco Powder – 1/2 tbsp
Chocolate Melted – 1.5 tbsp
Melted Butter – 1 tsp
Icing Sugar – 1 tbsp
Coco powder – as required to roll
Color sprinkles – as required to roll
Pistachios powdered coarsely – as required to roll
Chocolate Semiya – as required to roll
- Chop cooking chocolate coarsely and transfer it to a heat proof bowl placed over a sauce pan of simmering water.Melt it until creamy and saucy as shown below(I melted more chocolate than the quantity required so dont get confused whether its 1 tbsp :O).Cool down to room temperature.Crumble the cake.
- In a mixing bowl – add crumbled cake,melted butter,coco powder,icing sugar,mix well.Then add chocolate sauce and form smooth dough.Chill the batter for 30mins. Then pinch small lemon sized balls and roll them to smooth balls.
- I used color cprinkles,coco powder,chocolate semiya and powdered pistachio for topping.Roll the balls in the topping of your choice.Chill it for an hr then serve.
Enjoy your homemade cake balls!!
The cake balls are delicious with a melt in the mouth texture…..Perfect for kids! See you all soon with more interesting recipes…tata cya for now 🙂
- Chilling overnight is best before shaping as it holds the shape well.
- Make sure your mixer is dry while grinding the nuts.I missed to check the mixie and it was wet hence the nuts was not completely dry as you can see.
- Be creative and use your favorite topping…You can use icing sugar,powdered mixed nuts etc.
- You can even coat the balls in melted chocolate sauce made,drizzle with white chocolate and refrigerate it until the chocolate is set.
- Keeps well for 3 days under refrigeration , depends on the freshness of the cake too.
- You can also use ready made chocolate sauce instead of melted cooking chocolate
- If the cake is very dry then you may require little more butter and chocolate sauce to bind it together as a dough. My cake was very moist so have given the measure accordingly.
- Dont let the cake balls in room temperature for more time as the topping might become moist.
- You can even use readymade chocolate cake and skip cooc powder and chocolate sauce.
- You can even add 1/2 cup powdered biscuit(digestive biscuits).