Lemon Oats is a quick alternate to our usual oats upma....Lemon oats is just oats upma with lemon flavour...I made it just like how we make lemon rice and it turned out super tasty.The texture is purely your choice if you want it more separate then follow the technique I have mentioned in oats upma recipe.This is very quick to make so handy for breakfast, do try this easy oats upma with lemon.
Lemon Oats Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 7 mins | Cooking Time : 15 mins | Serves : 1
Recipe Category: Breakfast | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Oats - 1/2 cup
Lemon juice - from 1/2 lemon
Turmeric powder - 1/8 tsp
Water - 3/4 cup to 1 cup
Salt - to taste
To temper:Oil - 2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Urad Dal - 1/4 tsp
Chana Dal - 1/2 tbsp
Peanuts - 1 tbsp
Curry Leaves - few
Hing - a tiny pinch
Red Chillies - 2
- Soak chana dal in water for 15mins,set aside.In a pan heat oil - add the items listed under 'to temper' along with turmeric powder and chana dal fry till the dals turn slightly browned.Then add peanuts and fry for a minute.
- Then add water,salt and being it to boil.Once it starts boiling add the oats in spreaded manner and keep mixing.
- Cook covered for 3mins.Once it gets cooked and is fluffy switch off and then add lemon juice and give a quick stir.
- You can even dry roast oats for 2mins then follow the same procedure, this helps in making fluffier upma.
- I used quaker quick cooking oats, if you are using rolled or other oats variety adjust water quantity accordingly.
- I always recommend any oats upma recipes to be served hot.
- You dont need any side dish for lemon oats but if you prefer then serve it with coconut chutney.
- I love the crunch in the peanuts so I recommend adding it.
Written by: SHARMILEE J