Last Updated on December 7, 2020
Oats Upma Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Quick cooking Oats – 1 cup
Water – 3 to 4 tbspd
Onion – 1 medium sized chopped finely
Turmeric powder – a generous pinch
Red Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Sambar powder – 1/2 tsp(optional)
Coriander leaves – 2 tsp
Salt – to taste
Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp for garnishing
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 3/4 tsp
Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
Green Chillies – 1
Curry leaves – few
- Dry roast oats for few mins until slightly browned and nice aroma rises, set aside.In a non stick pan heat oil – add the items under ‘to temper’. Then add onion and saute for mins till it shrinks and is slightly browned.
- Then add the spice powders, oats and give a quick stir.Sprinkle 1-2 tbsp of water.Add required salt.
- Cook covered with the lid closed for 2-3mins. Open and check ,if its not fully cooked then add 1 more tbsp of water and cook covered.Repeat this process until it gets cooked fully and is soft. Once it is fully cooked, add coriander leaves and keep stirring for 2-3mins until its flaky then switch off.
Serve hot with any chutney of your choice. It tastes great by itself too.
- Dont add the water fully, just add little by little and cook covered thats the trick here to get flaky upma.
- You can dry roast oats and store it so that its easier to make during the morning hours.
- As I used quick cooking oats, just little water was enough for it to get cooked. If you are using steel cut oats, you need to add more water accordingly.
- You can even add cooked vegetables to the upma along with oats to make it a filling and wholesome breakfast.