This is not only easy to make but flavourful too with the masalas blended with vegetables and oats. When served hot it tastes soo good and makes you forget its a porridge 😉
Oats Savoury Porridge Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Side dish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Quick Cooking Oats – 1/2 cup (I used Quaker)
Vegetables – 1/4 cup (I used carrot and peas)
Onion – 1 small sized finely chopped
Turmeric powder – a generous pinch
Red Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala powder – 3/4 tsp
Coriander leaves – 1 tsp
Pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
Water – 1 cup (adjust accordingly)
Salt – as required
- In a non stick pan add onions and dry roast it until it shrinks, then add oats and roast it until nice aroma rises.
- Meanwhile pressure cook the vegetables seperately until soft and slightly mushy(I cooked for 2 whistles).Now add water, cooked vegetables, red chilli, turmeric, garam masala powder and required salt to the oats. Let it cook in medium flame for 3mins until oats becomes soft.Add more water if required.
- Allow it to boil for a while, then use a laddle/ masher and mash it well(it depends on how you want your veggies to be) Cook for 2more mins until it reaches the porridge consistency. Then add chopped coriander leaves, pepper powder and switch off .
Serve hot with raw onions and coriander leaves garnished and pepper powder sprinkled.
- You can use vegetables of your choice. Also if you like the veggies in pieces just mash it roughly.
- Adjust water according to the oats variety. If you want you can add curd / buttermilk, mix it while serving.
- Adding the vegetables and spice powders even before the oats is cooked helps in blending the flavours well. You can also pressure cook the vegetables, oats together with the spice powders.
- Amma usually sautes onion and tomato well and then add it to the other other ingredients. You can try this too as tomatoes give a nice flavour.