Coriander Thogayal Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Coriander leaves – 1 small bunch(1.5 cups tightly packed)
Tamarind – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 tsp
Urad dal – 2 tbsp
Chana dal – 3 tbsp
Red Chillies – 2
Coconut – 2 tbsp
Hing – a generous pinch
- Heat oil – add the dhals and fry till golden brown then add red chillies fry for a min then add coconut and fry till slightly browned then add tamarind.
- Switch off the stove and then add coriander leaves, give a quick stir. Allow it to cool down, then grind it with salt and little water to a semi coarse paste in thogayal consistency.
Serve with hot steamed rice or with any variety rice!
- Adjust water according to your preference. Usually thogayal is a bit on the thicker side but again its your preference for accompanying it.
- You can skip coconut and add onions too and proceed with all other ingredients in this recipe.
- Dont grind it to a fine paste, thogayalas are meant to be coarse as it best suits with rice.
- No need to saute coriander leaves just the heat after switching off is enough for it to get cooked.
- Adjust spice level according to your preference.