Sakkarai Pongal(Chakkarai Pongal) is my fav - Rice with moong dhal cooked in jaggery and milk simmered and then garnished with ghee roasted cashews and raisins....who will say no to it. I have already posted the recipe for milk pongal. We make this using the traditional pot meant for pongal but here have given the pressure cooker method.The best combination with sweet pongal is medu vada - Both are like match made in heaven :) Check the traditional sakkarai pongal recipe here.
1. Dry roast moong dhal until nice aroma rises, Keep aside. Add saffron strands in 2tbsp of warm milk and set aside. In a pan add little ghee and roast cashews and raisins until golden brown.
2. Pressure cook moong dhal, rice with water for 3 whistles in medium flame, mush it up a laddle once and set aside.Add jaggery in warm water(just till immersing level) and mix it well. Then strain to remove impurities and add it to the pan.
3.Bring it to a boil, then add the cooked rice moong dhal and mix well with the jaggery syrup. Then add milk with saffron and mix well.
4.Add remaining milk and allow it to boil.Combine well,cardamom powder, ghee and roasted raisins and cashews and give a quick stir. Once its semi thick switch off and serve hot.
Serve hot with medu vada or paruppu vada. We make sweet milk pongal often when there is leftover rice and excess milk and I used to finish half of it :)
My Notes :
- Switch it off in semi running consistency as it tends to get thicker with time.
- Adding saffron is purely optional but will give a richer taste.
- Adding more milk and cooking the pongal in milk gives a yummy taste.