Vazhakkai curry is one recipe that I am making often these days as it goes well even with a simple rasam.We had a simple yet satisfying meal combo with rice, rasam, masala kuzhambu, vazhakkai curry, curd and molaga vathal. I have already posted vazhakkai curry, vazhakkai varuval and vazhakkai pepper chops, you can check those versions too.
I am just back from a short 2 day vacation to Kumarakom and am still in the holiday mood grrr….just feel like lazying around….hope am back to the routine soon.
Vazhakkai Curry Recipe – Ingredients
Preparation Time : 15 mins | Cooking Time : 25 mins | Makes : 8 ladoos
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Raw Banana(Vazhakkai) – 1
Salt – to taste
Turmeric powder – a pinch
Oil – 1 tsp
To grind to a coarse paste:
Coconut – 3 tbsp
Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
Pepper – 1/2 tsp
Garlic -4 chopped roughly
Cinnamon – 1/4 inch piece
Cloves – 1
Red Chillies – 4
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – a sprig
- Chop raw banana into cubes and keep it immersed in water to avoid blackening,Set aside.Grind the ingredients listed under ‘to grind’ to a coarse paste. Drain water from the veggie and mix the veggie along with the ground masala with required salt and set aside for 15mins.
- Heat oil in a pan – add the items listed under ‘to temper’ let it splutter.Then add the veggie along with the masala mixture along with turmeric powder.Saute until the raw smell of the masalas leave then add 1/4 cup water(just till immersing level)
- Cook covered in low flame till the veggie turns soft.Adjust salt at this stage.Once the water is absorbed completely add 1 tsp oil and cook in medium flame till golden brown.
Serve with rice and rasam a great combo!
- Add water only till immersing level else the veggie will turn mushy.The veggie should be crunchy enough to bite so cook accordingly.
- Check if raw banana is tender and then add water accordingly.
- Use a nonstick pan to avoid adding more oil. You can even use a iron kadai to make this curry
- Adjust red chillies according to your spice level, as this curry is a bit spicy.