Varagu Arisi Pongal Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Varagu Rice – 1/2 cup
Moong Dal – 3 tbsp
Water – 1 and 1/4 cups
Cashews – 5 broken
Ghee – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 tsp
Pepper – 1/2 tsp (whole or crushed roughly)
Jeera – 1/2 tsp (whole or crushed roughly)
Curry Leaves – few
Green Chillies – 1
Ginger – 1/2 tsp chopped finely
Hing – 1/8 tsp
- Dry roast moong dal till golden brown.Transfer to pressure cooker, then Rinse the millet well,drain water and add it to cooker.Add water and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles in medium flame.Switch off.
- Once pressure releases, mash up rice and dal well with a laddle.Now get ready with the tempering items…Heat oil in a pan – add the items listed under ‘ temper’ let it splutter.
- Then fry cashews in ghee and transfer both tempering and fried cashews to the pongal.Give a quick stir.
Serve hot with a drizzle of ghee on top along with chutney and sambar.
- I recommend serving hot / warm else it will become dry as with any pongal.
- Adjust water according to the consistency you like your pongal to be.
- Drizzle ghee, garnish with cashews while serving to give the pongal a more appealing look 🙂
- If you don’t like whole pepper corns then crush it coarsely.