Curd Vadai Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Thick Curd (Yogurt) – 2 cups
Carrot(grated) – 2 tbsp or as required
Kara Boondi – 4 tbsp or as required
Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp chopped
Salt – to taste
For the vada:
Urad Dal – 1/2 cup
Salt – to taste
Water – as required
Oil – to deep fry
To grind to a paste:
Coconut – 2 tbsp
Green chilli – 1
Ginger – 1/4 inch piece
Oil – 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Jeera – 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves – few
Hing – a generous pinch
- Soak urad dal for 1 -2 hours at least. Drain water and keep aside (I usually drain the water completely and then sprinkle little by little while grinding, doing so you can be sure of the quantity of water).Now grind it to a fluffy texture in a grinder sprinkling water now and then. Dont add much water as the batter will become runny.The batter should be thick and fluffy as shown,add required salt and mix well.Take a polythene sheet or milk cover slightly greased with a drop of oil. Wet you right hand, then make a small ball out of the batter and pat it on the milk cover. Now make a hole in the middle and carefully transfer it to the kadai(It only comes by practice I havent mastered it too so keep trying :))
- Heat oil in a kadai.Fry the vadai in medium flame, turn over to other side once it becomes firm. Take out once it becomes golden brown on both sides and drain in tissue paper.Set aside.Add the ingredients listed under ‘to grind’ to a mixer.
- Grind it to a semi fine paste.Whisk the curd well add required salt.Add the paste to the whisked curd and mix well.Heat oil and temper the items listed under ‘to temper’, transfer to the curd mixture.
- Give a quick stir. Make the other ingredients ready.Then add the vadas to hot water,remove it immediately – this is to make the vadas soft and make it absorb curd well.
- Add the vadas to the curd mixture and arrange it in a plate.Pour the curd mixture over the vadas, then garnish with grated carrot,boondi and coriander leaves.
Serve at room temperature or chilled.
- Never use sour curd for making thayir vada.
- Also grinding the batter in grinder gives a more fluffy vada but if you are in a hurry then mixer is ok too but there will be difference in the vada texture.
- Soaking urad dal for more time say 4-5hrs) makes the vadas absorb less oil.
- You can even dip the vadas in buttermilk instead of hot water.
- While tempering you can even use 2 red chillies.
- I used only 1 cup of curd in the stepwise pictures and reserved the remaining curd for the reserved vadas 🙂