The curry is thickish perfect to pair with rice, I had little leftover which I had with dosa the next day and I just loved the combo.
Ulli Theeyal Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: Indian | Reference:YummyOYummy
Small Onions – 1/2 cup skin peeled
Tamarind water – 1/4 cup
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Red Chilli powder – 1 tsp
Jeera powder – 1/2 tsp
Water – as needed
Salt – to taste
To roast and grind:
Coconut – 1/2 cup
Coriander Seeds – 1/2 tbsp
Pepper – 1 ts[
Dry Red Chillies – 3
Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
Coconut Oil – 1 and 1/2 tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Curry Leaves – a small sprig
Dry Red Chillies – 2
- Dry roast all the ingredients listed under ‘to roast and grind’ till nicely browned, keep sauteing in low flame.Cool down and then transfer it to a mixer jar.
- Add little water and grind it to a fine paste,Set aside.Heat oil in a kadai – add mustard seeds,curry leaves and red chillies let it splutter.Then add small onion and saute till it turns transparent.Then add turmeric powder,red chilli powder and jeera powder.Add required salt.
- Saute well till onions turn soft.Then add the coconut paste and saute for 2mins.Then add little water along with tamarind water.
- It should more like rasam in consistency at this stage.Let it boil and become thick, oil will seperate at this stage switch off.
Serve with hot steamed rice!
- The orginal recipe called for tamarind paste, I had tamarind water which I had after making rasam so I used it.If you are using tamarind paste then just 2-3 tsp would be enough.
- Adjust spice according to your taste.
- Let it boil for a good amount of time so that curry becomes thick.
- If you don’t have coconut oil then add normal cooking oil but I recommend adding coconut oil to get the full flavour of theeyal.
- This keeps well for the next day as well, but keep refrigerated and heat it up.Actually this tastes even better as it rests. 🙂
- I used my earthernware kadai which lifted the flavour of theeyal, you can use normal kadai.