I have tasted Ramzan Nombu Kanji only once so far and I love the flavour of the kanji.The Nombu Kanji is a nutritious gruel made of raw rice and dal, cooked to a smooth porridge consistency and seasoned with spices, the kanji’s flavours are much like the biryani so I felt like drinking biryani 🙂 Actually they use meat(chicken / mutton) but I preferred to make the veg version of the nombu kanji.
Nombu Kanji is made in a gigantic container and is then transferred to small bowls for serving.Last Ramzan, I posted sheer khurma and this year happened to see nombu kanji in many blogs which tempted and reminded me that I haven’t posted it yet so here comes the recipe for Ramzan Nombu Kanji from my kitchen.
Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar, and the month in which the Quran was revealed.Fasting during the month of Ramadan is one of the Five Pillars of Islam. The month is spent by Muslims fasting during the daylight hours from dawn to sunset.In Southern states such as Tamil Nadu, and Kerala, Muslims break their fast with nonbu kanji, a rich, filling rice dish of porridge consistency, cooked with meat and vegetables. This is often served with bonda, bajji, and vadai.
Ramzan Nombu Kanji Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Raw Rice – 1/2 cup
Moong Dal – 2 tbsp
Carrot – 1 small finely chopped
Big Onion – 1 medium sized finely chopped
Tomato – 1 medium sized roughly chopped
Ginger Garlic paste – 1.5 tsp
Turmeric powder – a tiny pinch
Red Chilli powder – 1/4 tsp
Garam Masala powder – 1/4 tsp
Mint Leaves – 1/4 cup tightly packed
Thick Coconut Milk – 1/2 cup
Water – 3 and 1/2 cups
Coriander Leaves – 1 tbsp finely chopped
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tsp
Cinnamon – 1/2 inch piece
Cloves – 2
Cardamom – 1 whole
Green Chillies – 1
- Grind raw rice and moong dal together to a coarse mixture,Set aside.Heat oil in a pressure cooker add the items listed under ‘to temper’ then add ginger garlic paste and onions fry till onions turn transparent.
- Then add tomato,carrot, mint leaves along with turmeric powder, red chilli powder and garam masala powder along with required salt.Saute for 2mins.Then add raw rice moong dal mixture.
- Add water and pressure cook for 4 whistles or until mushy.Once pressure releases open and mash it well.
- Heat it again and add little more water if its too thick, then add coconut milk give a quick stir,garnish with coiriander leaves and switch off.
Serve hot or warm.
- You can add other veggies like beans,cabbage etc.
- If you are adding chicken / mutton 100gms, pressure cook it separately until slightly tender then add it along with rice dal.In that case you can use chicken stock instead of water.
- The kanji should be in drinkable consistency as they serve int in a curved bowl to drink.It will get thicken soon , so switch it off at the right consistency.
- Traditionally they make this kanji in large containers , stir and cook it but I chose the pressure cooking way as its easy 🙂