Podi Idli – Have you ever tasted them at hotels?! Its just yum with the gingelly oil and podi flavour though a little spicy I love it to the core.When I was planning for kids lunch box series this podi idli came to my rescue for that week, I added veggies to make it whole some and it turned out super great.Here is my version of podi idli recipe 🙂
Podi Idli Recipe
Recipe Category: Snack / Lunch | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Mini Idlis – around 20
Idli Podi 1 , Idli Podi 2 – 1 tbsp(Adjust according to your taste)
Onion – 2 tbsp finely chopped
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp(optional)
Carrot grated – 2 tbsp
Capsicum – 1 tbsp
Ginger garlic paste – 1/2 tsp
Gingelly Oil – 1/2 tbsp
Coriander leaves – 1.5 tbsp finely chopped
Cashews – 5 (broken and fried in ghee)
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 3/4 tsp
Curry leaves – a small sprig
- Pour idli batter into the mini idli mould and steam it for 8-10mins. My mini idli steamer has cloth so I use it which gives more softer idlis.You can just pour it directly into the mould too.
- In a mixing bowl add the idlis, drizzle gingelly oil and idli podi, mix well and set aside.In a kadai heat oil – add mustard seeds and curry leaves let it splutter.
- Add onion,ginger garlic paste and saute for few mins till onions turn golden brown.Add carrot and capsicum.
- Saute for few mins till raw smell of the veggies leave, add required salt. Add the podi idlis and toss it well.Finally add coriander leaves and ghee fried cashews.Give a quick stir and switch off.
- Our recipe of idli podi is less spicy so I usually add a tbsp, but if you are using store bought then use little less as it may be spicy…adjust accordingly.
- Adding veggies is purely optional but since I planned for kids lunch box menu I wanted to make it wholesome so added them.Be creative and use corn,peas or any other veggie of your choice.
- Gingelly oil is good for health so be generous in adding.You can replace it with coconut oil.
- Make sure your idlis are slightly porous so that it absorbs the podi well.So use the first batch of idli batter for best results.
- You can even add peanuts or almonds replacing cashews.
- If you dont have mini idli mould, you can even make regular idlis, cube them and use it.