MTR Idli Milagai Podi is one of the quite essential items in every household especially South Indians. MTR Style Idli Milagai Podi Recipe with video and stepwise pictures.
Idli Milagai Podi is one of the quite essential items in every household especially southindians. I’ve already posted idli milagai podi which is the version I am sticking to as everyone likes it at home including mittu and the main reason being this version is less spicy and kid friendly.
My sis suggested me to taste MTR idli milagai podi and I so so loved it. Ever since I tasted it, I had been wondering what are the ingredients that went into the making of it. So one fine day I sat down and checked the ingredients listed in the pack and tried few times, finally this version was a very close match so that justifies the post here.MTR version is with very simple ingredients but is spicy and flavourful.
Tried this MTR Style Idli Milagai Podi Recipe ? Do let me know how you liked it. Also tag us on Instagram @sharmispassions and hash tag it on #sharmispassions.
MTR Idli Milagai Podi Recipe
- 1/2 cup whole urad dal
- 1.5 tsp cooking oil
- 11 nos red chillies
- 14 nos kashmiri red chillies
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp hing ddd 1/2 tsp if you like hing flavour more
- 1/4 cup curry leaves
- 1 tbsp tamarind
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- rock salt to taste
- To a heavy bottomed pan heat 1 tsp oil - add urad dal and chillies (both kashmiri and normal red chillies). Roast until golden.
- Add tamarind, curryleaves, salt and hing.
- Transfer to a plate and cool down completely. Transfer to mixer jar and grind it slightly coarse.
- To 1/2 tsp oil add mustard seeds let it splutter add it to the mixer jar, pulse it few times(do not grind). Whole mustard should be seen here and there. Spread on a plate and cool down and then store.
- Serve MTR Idli Milagai Podi with gingelly oil.
- If you prefer a less spicy version just reduce the red chillies to half.
- The orginal recipe uses a pinch of lemon powder which gives slightly sour taste to the podi to match the store bought podi. I added tamarind instead and its purely optional.
- MTR idli podi has very dominant hing flavour but I added only 1/4 tsp, if you want you can add 1/2 tsp too.
Make sure there is no moisture in the mixer before grinding it. Also cool down the ingredients completely before grinding.
- Gingelly oil is good for health so add it generously and enjoy ur idlis.
MTR Style Idli Milagai Podi Step by Step
- To a heavy bottomed pan add urad dal and chillies(both kashmiri and normal red chillies).Roast until golden.Finally add tamarind,curryleaves,salt and hing.
- Transfer to a plate and cool down completely.Transfer to mixer jar and grind it slightly coarse.
- To 1/2 tsp oil add mustard seeds let it splutter add it to the mixer jar, pulse it few times(do not grind).Whole mustard should be seen here and there.Spread on a plate and cool down and then store.
Serve with gingelly oil.Keeps well for about a month.
Serve idli podi with soft idli or oothapam with gingelly oil.
Spicy flavourful idli podi ready!