MTR Idli Milagai Podi is one of the quite essential items in every household especially South Indians. MTR Style Idli Milagai Podi Recipe with video and stepwise pictures.
Idli Milagai Podi is one of the quite essential items in every household especially southindians. I’ve already posted idli milagai podi which is the version I am sticking to as everyone likes it at home including mittu and the main reason being this version is less spicy and kid friendly.
My sis suggested me to taste MTR idli milagai podi and I so so loved it. Ever since I tasted it, I had been wondering what are the ingredients that went into the making of it. So one fine day I sat down and checked the ingredients listed in the pack and tried few times, finally this version was a very close match so that justifies the post here.MTR version is with very simple ingredients but is spicy and flavourful.
If you have any more questions about this MTR Style Idli Milagai Podi Recipe do mail me at [email protected]. In addition, follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, Youtube and Twitter .
Tried this MTR Style Idli Milagai Podi Recipe ? Do let me know how you liked it. Also tag us on Instagram @sharmispassions and hash tag it on #sharmispassions.
MTR Idli Milagai Podi Recipe
- 1/2 cup whole urad dal
- 1.5 tsp cooking oil
- 11 nos red chillies
- 14 nos kashmiri red chillies
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp hing ddd 1/2 tsp if you like hing flavour more
- 1/4 cup curry leaves
- 1 tbsp tamarind
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- rock salt to taste
- To a heavy bottomed pan heat 1 tsp oil - add urad dal and chillies (both kashmiri and normal red chillies). Roast until golden.
- Add tamarind, curryleaves, salt and hing.
- Transfer to a plate and cool down completely. Transfer to mixer jar and grind it slightly coarse.
- To 1/2 tsp oil add mustard seeds let it splutter add it to the mixer jar, pulse it few times(do not grind). Whole mustard should be seen here and there. Spread on a plate and cool down and then store.
- Serve MTR Idli Milagai Podi with gingelly oil.
- If you prefer a less spicy version just reduce the red chillies to half.
- The orginal recipe uses a pinch of lemon powder which gives slightly sour taste to the podi to match the store bought podi. I added tamarind instead and its purely optional.
- MTR idli podi has very dominant hing flavour but I added only 1/4 tsp, if you want you can add 1/2 tsp too.
Make sure there is no moisture in the mixer before grinding it. Also cool down the ingredients completely before grinding.
- Gingelly oil is good for health so add it generously and enjoy ur idlis.
MTR Style Idli Milagai Podi Step by Step
- To a heavy bottomed pan add urad dal and chillies(both kashmiri and normal red chillies).Roast until golden.Finally add tamarind,curryleaves,salt and hing.
- Transfer to a plate and cool down completely.Transfer to mixer jar and grind it slightly coarse.
- To 1/2 tsp oil add mustard seeds let it splutter add it to the mixer jar, pulse it few times(do not grind).Whole mustard should be seen here and there.Spread on a plate and cool down and then store.
Serve with gingelly oil.Keeps well for about a month.
Serve idli podi with soft idli or oothapam with gingelly oil.
Spicy flavourful idli podi ready!
OMG I love this podi..super yumm..wah wah wah wah wah post :)))
Such flavorful podi..MTR podi is my fav too…Now thx to u I can try it at home… 🙂
I always use MTR podi..now I can make it at home..thanks
wow sharmi U r the best!!
am definitely going to try this. my husband likes this so much !!!
Loved the idly podi nei toast, simply mouthwatering 🙂
This is super. I will try it. If you think you can replicate the Grand Sweets one do that too! That is also good.
sowmya's creative saga
love the idea of using this podi with leftover idlis..
grt post…i neva had do myself…will try soon..thx for sharin!
is idli milagai podi different from karapodi or idli karam podi?if it is different then will u also pls share the recipe for kaarapodi/karam podi….i want this recipe..pls..
@Nimisha : They are both the same just the name differs 🙂
Makes me hungry,super tempting and irresistible..
Will try this idly podi soon, I too love MTR podi with idlis a lot…your idly podi nei toast looks too inviting!!
In your last pic, u have named it as "idly Nei Podi Toast" 🙂
I love the last pic. It makes me want to eat idly and podi right away. I have been a fan of such cut idly mixed with podi since childhood 🙂
Nice Site and a very simple and easy to follow recipe.
However the Kerala version of Milagai Podi has a few additions/variations. We would cut down the red chillies 6 and add 2 tablespoons of black peppercorns instead. And for added flavor, dry roast 8-10 sprigs of Karivepila (Curry leaves) and mix it into the roasted lentils before grinding
Thank you for the wonderful recipe
I love the slight sourness thy the MTR podi has, but I don’t have any lemon power. Could I use amchur instead, or do you think that would ruin the flavor?
Lemon flavour will spoil the taste instead you can add little tamarind.
Thank you! It’s delicious!
I tried your idli podi…..that was awesome…my husband like most…. thanks for your recipe…. keep going….
Tried this idli podi mam.came out really well.thank you so much mam for sharing
Just came across your site today.. all at home love MTR podi and so will definitely try your recipe.. Thank you for sharing. Also love your iron cookwares, can you say where did you get them from?
Thank you so much! Sure do try and let me know your feedback!
Iron cookwares its not from a particular brand..the one I have used here is from a brand named healthychoices.in