Last Updated on December 7, 2020
As I don’t have small claypots I poured them into small glass bowls and set them in the fridge.This is one of the easiest desserts I have made in the recent days so I am sure any beginner can try and enjoy the rich delicious dessert.
Phirni Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Dessert | Recipe Cuisine: India
Basmati Rice – 2.5 heaped tbsp
Full Cream Milk – 2 cups (1/2 litre / 500ml)
Sugar – 1/8 cup + 1 tbsp
Saffron – 5 strands
Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
Chopped Mixed Nuts – for garnish(I used almonds and pistachios)
- Rinse basmati rice and soak in water for an hr.Transfer to mixer and with little water grind it to a semi fine paste, slightly coarse.When you touch it with your fingers you should feel the coarse textureSet aside.
- Take a heavy bottomed wide pan and boil milk.Take a tbsp of warm milk in a bowl and soak saffron , set aside.Boil milk for 3mins then add the rice paste.
- Whisk it well to avoid lumps.Let it cook for 10-12mins in simmer.Check whether rice is cooked to soft, else cook for 5more mins.Once rice is cooked add saffron milk mixture and sugar.Give a stir.
- Once sugar is completely dissolved and the mixture is thick more like pudding consistency add cardamom powder and switch off.Spoon the mixture into serving bowls and garnish with saffron and chopped nuts of your choice.Refrigerate it atleast for an hr.
Serve chilled ….yummm!!
- Phirni is more like pudding so I grinded the rice to a smooth mildy coarse paste as its supposed to be.
- Keep mixing continuously in low flame after rice paste is added else it will form lumps.
- Add nuts of your choice, I used almonds and pistachios.
- Its preferable to use Full Cream Milk, I used Aavin green packet.
- If you have missed the final consitency the phirni will be very thick so add few tbsp milk to make it to the right consistency before pouring into serving bowls to set.
- Adjust sugar quantity as per your preference.
- Use a heavy bottomed pan or even nonstick pan.I used my steel pan.