Shahi Tukda Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Dessert | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Milk – 3 cups
Bread – 5 slices
Saffron – 3 to 4 strands
Ghee – to toast
Nuts – 2 tbsp (Pista & Badams chopped finely)
For the sugar syrup:
Sugar – 1/4 cup
CWater – 1/2 cup
- Strip off the corners of the bread and cut into small triangles, set aside.Soak saffron strands in warm milk, keep aside.Prepare sugar syrup by heating sugar and water in a pan until a syrup like consistency is formed.It should be thick and sticky thats all, dont need to check for string consistency etc.Keep aside.
- Boil milk, add the saffron milk to it. Once it boils and shrinks to half, add the chopped nuts, bring to a boil and switch off.The mixture is called rabri.Refrigerate it till use.
- Toast the bread with ghee in a non-stick tawa such that it becomes crisp.You can do them in batches. You can use ur oven or toaster too. It can deep fried in ghee too.
- Soak each slice in the sugar syrup and arrange it in a plate.Then pour the rabri over the bread slices to soak well. Garnish with chopped nuts toasted in ghee. Serve chilled.
Toasted bread soaked in sugar syrup…yummm
Deep frying sure is very tasty so once in a while rich indulgence is not a problem…what say?! 😉
- Either deep fry the bread slices in ghee or toast them. Dont deep fry/toast in oil as it will spoil the taste.
- The bread slices should be crispy else when soaked in milk it will become soggy.
- If you wish you can cut the sides of the bread. I didnt find any difference after soaking so usually I dont remove the sides of the bread.
- You can use either white or brown bread. I used white here.