Norwegian Christmas Bread Recipe
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: World | Reference : DiverseKitchen
For the dough:
Maida – 1 and 1/4 cup
Instant dry yeast – 1 tsp
Sugar – 1/8 cup
Luke warm water – 1/8 cup
Luke warm milk – 1/4 cup
Butter – 2 tbsp(25 gms)
Salt – 1/8 tsp
Cardamom – 2 powdered
Tutti Frutti – 1/4 cup
Raisins – 2 tsp
Milk -1 tbsp
Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Take 1 tbsp sugar from 1/8th cup of sugar.In a bowl add 1 tbsp sugar along with luke warm water and milk.
- Add yeast.Set aside undisturbed for 10mins.It will become frothy, this shows the yeast is active.
- Now add remaining sugar,then add butter.I transferred this to a big mixing bowl, whisk it well.
- Add flour along with cardamom powder and salt. Mix well and knead it to a smooth nonsticky dough.Adjust with adding flour if the dough is sticky.Roll the dough to a large round, sprinkle tutti frutti and raisins.
- Then roll it up, and bring the egdes to form a round ball like shown below.
- Knead the ball slightly and place it in oil greased bowl.This is a good way to knead the fruit into dough.Keep covered and set aside to rise for an hr or until it is almost doubled.
- After an hr or so punch down the dough and knead well.Then place it in a baking tray and slightly flatten it.
- Brush it with milk.Set aside for 30-45mins, I left it for 30mins.Preheat oven at 180 deg C for 10 mins.Sprinkle sugar on top and bake in oven at 180 deg for about 30mins.If you find the bread browning too quickly, cover it with foil after about 15 minutes in the oven to avoid further browning.
Cool it on a rack. Let it cool completely before you slice it.
- The only mistake I did was while letting to rise my top was not smooth and I kept it as such to bake so had an ineven top.I should have kneaded it well in step 7 so that there are no cracks on top.Only lookswise it had cracks, the top was soft not crusty.So I recommend kneading the dough well to have a smooth finished top without cracks.
- If you want you can make an icing made with 1/4 cup icing sugar and few tsp of milk.Ans just pour the icing over the bread once it is completely cool.But in that case reduce sugar in the dough else the bread will be very sweet.
- Grease the baking pan with oil / butter.
- Place in a well oiled bowl while setting to rise.
- Sprinkling, rolling and kneading ensures proper ditsr knead in fruit into bread dough.
- Cool down the bread completely before you slice them.Always use a serated knife to slice.
- I loved the sugar topping and the crunch it gave while biting so recommend adding it.