Drumstick Curry Recipe
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Drumstick – 5
Garlic – 5 halved
Big Onion – 1 finely chopped
Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Water – as required
Salt – to taste
To grind to a paste:
Coconut – 1/3 cup
Fennel Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 2 tsp
Cinnamon – 1/2 inch piece two
Cloves – 2
Cardamom – 2
Curry leaves – few
- Wash drumstick and trim the ends. Cut it into1.5 inches long,Set aside.Heat oil – add the items listed under ‘to temper’ let it splutter then add garlic and onions, fry till golden brown.
- Add drumstick,red chilli powder, required water and let it boil.
- Cover and cook for few mins until the drumstick turns tender.Meanwhile grind coconut,fennel seeds along with little water to a semi fine paste.
- Once the color of the veggie changes and is cooked to soft, add required salt,coconut paste.Add 1/2 cup water
- Let it cook till it becomes semi dry.Switch it off.
Serve with rice and sambar/rasam.
- If you dont like the spices flavour then here is an alternate : for tempering add mustard seeds and urad dal and for grinding grind coconut with jeera.You can replace red chilli powder with sambar powder.
- The consistency is purely your choice.You can even cook for few more mins to make it nicely roasted till dry or switch off earlier with gravy.I made it semi dry for mixing with rice.
- Choose tender drumstick.
- You can even add 1 tomato while sauteing onion.