Masala Idli Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Breakfast | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Idli – 4
Big Onion – 1 medium sized chopped finely
Tomato – 1 big sized chopped roughly
Capsicum – 2 tbsp finely chopped
Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder -a generous pinch
Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Coriander Powder – 1/2 tsp
Chana Masala powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander Leaves – 2 tsp finely chopped
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Jeera – 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves – a small sprig
- If you are using fresh idlis then refrigerate for 30mins.Then chop them into small cubes.Collect them in a bowl and set aside.In a pan heat oil – add the items listed under ‘ to temper’.
- Once mustard and jeera crackles add ginger garlic paste, saute for 2 mins then add onion and saute till transparent.Then add tomatoes.
- Saute for 3mins then add red chilli powder,turmeric powder,chana masala powder and required salt.Saute till the masalas blend well and tomatoes are mushy.Then add capsicum and saute for a while.
- Sprinkle little water to make it to a semi gravy then add the idlis and toss well.Finally garnish with coriander leaves and switch off.
- I used fresh idlis so refrigerated and then used.If you are using leftover previous day idlis then you can cut it as such even without refrigerating.
- This dish is slightly moist, should not be too dry so sprinkle little water.
- After the idli cubes are added, don’t overcook just toss over else idlis will start to crumble.
- Adding chana masala powder is optional, you can replace it with garam masala powder.