I had this Karthigai Adai Recipe in my mind since last Karthigai Deepam but couldnt find time to try it.I googled for the recipe, but there werent any so I decided to adapt my karthigai adai recipe to make this sweet version.Usually karthigai adai is a savory dish made with freshly ground rice batter flavoured with pepper, but this is a sweet version of karthigai adai.Me and amma so loved and enjoyed it for breakfast with a dollop of butter it was heaven! 🙂
Vella adai Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Raw Rice – 1 cup
Toor Dal – 1/2 cup
Chana Dal – 1/4 cup
Urad Dal – 1 tbsp
Moong Dal – 1 heaped tsp
Jaggery – 1/2 cup tightly packed
Coconut – 2 tbsp grated
Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
- Mix jaggery with water and heat it up for few mins until it is slightly thick(no consistency needs to be checked).
- Strain the syrup to remove impurities, collect it in a bowl.Heat it up and cook for few mins to make the syrup thick like honey in consistency.
- Measure and take raw rice along with other dals.Soak together in water for 2 to 3 hours, Set aside.
- Rinse it well, then add it to a mixer jar.Add water as little as possible and grind into a slightly coarse thickish batter.
- It should be this thick.Transfer to a mixing bowl, add jaggery syrup.
- Mix well to form a flowing batter slightly thicker than dosa batter.Add coconut and cardamom powder.
- Heat a tawa. Take a laddle full of batter and pour it on the tawa ,spread it slightly. Drizzle oil.Cook in low medium flame.
- Flip to other side for cooking and cook till golden brown and the ends start turning crisp.
Serve hot with butter- yum!
- If the batter is very runny then when you add jaggery syrup it will become more runny so add as little water as possible while grinding.
- Even after adding jaggery syrup if the batter is thick then add little water.
- It is mildy sweet.
- As there is jaggery, the adais get browned faster, so make sure to cook in low medium flame for getting the perfect golden color.
- I used gingelly oil for cooking the adais,you can use ghee too for a great flavour.