Kara Boondi Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Besan Flour (Kadalaimaavu) – 1 cup
Rice Flour(Idiyappam flour) – 2 tbsps
Hing – a generous pinch
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp + 1 tsp
Curry leaves – a sprig
Cashewnuts – 1 tbsp broken
Oil – 2 tsp + for deep frying
Peanuts – 4 tbsp
Salt – to taste
- We need 2 laddles for making boondhi : one for making the boondhis and another for draining them from oil. In a mixing bowl – add besan flour, rice flour, hing, 1 tsp red chilli powder and required salt. First add little water to make a thick paste.
- Then add more water little by little to form a flowing batter, then add the 2 tsp oil(this is ensure pouring the batter smoothly).Here is where we need to be very careful. If the batter consistency is not perfect the balls will not be round and it will have tails.
To check if the batter is in correct consistency : First take a spoon and dip the backside of the spoon into batter and hold it on top of the preheated oil. If it drops as perfect rounds then the batter is perfect.
- Turn over to cook on both sides evenly.Once it turns golden brown and the shh sound ceases take it out from oil and drain in tissue.Do this for the remaining batter as well.
- Finally fry peanuts, cashews and curry leaves until crisp, set aside. In a mixing bowl – add the prepared boondhis, 1 tsp red chilli powder, curry leaves, cashews and peanuts and salt if needed. Toss them to combine.
Store in an airtight container and enjoy munching the snack!
- Batter consistency is very important to get perfect round boondis.So be very careful while adding water.
- When we drop the batter with the back of the spoon and If it drops and forms balls with a tail – then add little more water to make it runny. Do the same spoon test. Once the batter is ready take a laddle full of batter and add it to the perforated laddle. Let it fall down by itself else tap it or using the same laddle used for pouring just spread it as shown in the below pic so that it drops down.
- If the balls formed are very light and thin then the batter is very runny so you can add 1 tbsp of besan.
- Just tap the perforated laddle for the batter to drop as rounds by itself else spread it with another laddle.