I actually wanted to post another method of how to cook kambu but this time I ended up cooking in cooker but usually amma cooks it in a thick bottomed vessel, as it takes time I prefer the pressure cooking way but sure to post that method soon, atleast in the next kambu recipe for sure 🙂
Kambu Thayir Sadam Recipe
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Broken Kambu – 1/2 cup (I used broken kambu)
Water – 2 cups
Curd – 1 cup
Carrot – 2.5 tbsp grated
Cucumber – 2 tbsp finely chopped
Raw Mango – 1 tbsp finely chopped
Coriander leaves – 2 tsp finely chopped
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – few
Green Chilli – 1 finely chopped
Ginger – 1/4 inch piece
Note: If you have whole kambu,then sprinkle little water over it and leave it for 15mins then grind it in a mixer to make it coarse…just 2-3 pulse is enough
- I used broken kambu so used it as such.Rinse the kambu well and transfer to pressure cooker, add water and pressure cook in low medium flame for 4 whistles.
- Once pressure releases, open and switch on the flame.Keep stirring till it becomes thick.Now transfer this to a mixing dish. let it cool down completely.
- Add curd and mix well.Then add cucumber,carrot,coriander leaves, raw mango and mix well.Add required salt.
- Heat oil in a pan – add items listed under ‘to temper’ let it splutter.Then add the tempering to the curd rice. Mix well.
Serve chilled and while serving garnish with leftover carrots,cucumber and coriander leaves.
- If you like add chopped raw onion too.
- If you are packing then add few tbsp of milk along with curd and mix well.
- Make kambu rice thick so that while mixing it doesn’t go runny.
- If you prefer add little water and curd while mixing.
- Serve with pickle or any kuzhambu of your choice.