Chana Dal Sundal Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Channa Dal – 1 cup
Coconut – 3 tbsp
Ginger scrapped – 1 tsp (optional)
Salt – as required
Oil – 1.5 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Urad dal – 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves – few
Red chillies – 2
Hing – a generous pinch
- Soak channa dal in water for an hour. Then pressure cook chana dal with 1.5 cups for 1-2 whistles or until it turns soft but not mushy. Keep aside.In a pan heat oil, add mustard seeds, urad dhal allow it to crackle. Add hing, curry leaves and red chillies fry for a minute.
- Then add the cooked chana dal, scrapped ginger and required salt. Mix well until its combined. Add coconut, give a quick stir and switch off.
Transfer to serving dish and serve hot!
- Pressure cooking will be ok too but take care not to make channa dal mushy.
- Adding ginger always helps to avoid gastric problems with most lentils esp with chana dal.
- You can replace red chillies with green chillies also.