Sweet Mango Pickle Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Pickle | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Raw Mango – 1 chopped
Red Chilli powder – 1 tsp
Powdered Jaggery – 1/4 cup
Turmeric powder – a generous pinch
Salt – to taste
To roast & grind:
Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tsp
Red Chillies – 2
Oil – 1.5 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Hing – 1/4 tsp
- Wash the raw mango, chop into bite sized pieces, set aside. In a pan, dry roast fenugreek seeds and red chillies till golden brown.Transfer it to a mixer.
- Grind it to a semi coarse powder,set aside. In a pan, heat oil – add mustard seeds let it splutter. Add roasted powder,red chilli powder,hing and turmeric powder.
- Give a quick mix and switch off. Transfer this to the chopped raw mango pieces,add salt and mix well.Let it to rest.
- Meanwhile we can prepare the jaggery syrup. Add 1/8 cup of water to jaggery and heat it up until it nicely bubbles and is thick like honey in consistency. Strain to remove impurities.
- Now to the thick jaggery syrup add the marinated raw mango pieces and heat it up until it is nicely coated.Switch it off immediately.The mangoes get cooked easily so dont heat up for more time, just mix and switch off.
Serve with curd rice!
- The pickle stays well for 2 days in room temperature and in total upto 4 days if refrigerated.Amma said if more oil floats on top (as for any pickle) it increases shelf life so may be add 1/4 cup oil if you want more shelf life.Always use clean spoon everytime. Also dont keep eversilver spoon immersed in the pickle, the pickle will get spoiled easily.
- Grinding to a coarse powder gives the pickle a nice crunch while eating.
- This is instant pickle and you need not wait till soaking time.Just make it and serve it. The mangoes get half cooked in jaggery syrup so it is soft.
- Add spice and sweetness according to your taste.