Wikipedia states Brown rice (or “hulled” or “unmilled” rice) is whole grain rice. It has a mild, nutty flavor, and is chewier and more nutritious than white rice.It is also called as handpound rice(kaikuthal arisi) which our ancesters used to eat to lead a healthy lifestyle.
Brown rice and white rice have similar amounts of calories and carbohydrates. The main differences between the two forms of rice lie in processing and nutritional content.When only the outermost layer of a grain of rice (the husk) is removed, brown rice is produced. To produce white rice, the next layers underneath the husk (the bran layer and the germ) are removed, leaving mostly the starchy endosperm.As brown rice comes with the bran layer it takes time to cook and as a beginners it was a bit tricky for me to learn to cook brown rice perfectly.
I googled around to get an idea but still my rice was always halfcooked.After experimenting the water ratio and soaking method for a month I finally got a hold to cook brown rice.I have given both pot method and pressure cooker method but personally I would recommend the pot method without straining much of water as all the benefits will be lost in the drained water so it is wise to add water apt for the rice to cook fully.In pressure cooking , the rice becomes sticky buy hubby prefers that way, so it depends on your taste and preference.
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Brown Rice – 1 cup
For Pot Method:
Water – 7 cups
For Pressure Cooker Method:
Water – 5 cups
- Take brown, rinse it well with water.
- Boil water till it starts boiling rigorously add it to washed rice till immersing level and soak for atleast 1 hour.Then in a pan / pot heat and boil 7 cups of water, let it start to boil rigorously.
- Strain and add the brown rice.Keep covered and cook for 45mins.I just opened to show the next stage.
- After 40-35mins if you see the grains would be soft when you press,that is the perfect stage.Switch off and keep closed and let it rest for 15mins undisturbed.Then fluff it up with a laddle.
- For pressure cooking method the soaking method is the same.In a pressure cooker add 5 cups of water for 1 cup of rice and pressure cook for 1 whistle in medium flame.Then cook for 30mins in low flame.Let the pressure release by itself then fluff it off.
Serve hot / warm with curry and vegetables.
- I got brown rice from Nilgiris.You can try any good brand of your choice.
- Adding hot water to soak makes rice cook faster and softer.
- In the pot method, if the water is absorbed fully and if its still not cooked after the mentioned time add some more water and cook covered.
- I used my 1/4 cup measuring cup and measured water in the same cup.For easy understanding, I have mentioned as 1 cup.