Eggless Vanilla Sponge Cake Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: North Indian
Maida – 1 and 1/2 cups (200 gms)
Plain yogurt(Curd) – 1 cup (250 ml)
Granulated Sugar – 3/4 cup (165 gms)
Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
Baking powder – 1 and 1/4 tsp
Cooking oil – 1/2 cup (125 ml)
Vanilla essence – 1 and 1/2 tsp
Milk – 1 tbsp (just for brushing the top)
- Sieve maida twice and keep aside.Cream sugar and curd until sugar completely dissolves. Add baking powder, baking soda to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Leave aside for 5 mins and you can see the bubbles appearing. Now add vanilla essence,cooking oil and mix well.
- Next slowly add maida in portions at a time and blend with wet ingredients. Beat well with a whisk until creamy and thick.Preheat oven to 200 deg C for 10mins. Meanwhile grease a butter paper, lay it in the cake tin or loaf pan and pour the batter to the tin and keep it ready.
- Bake in preheated oven at 200 degree C for 10 mins, then reduce temperature to 180 deg C and bake it for 30-35 mins or till a fork inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Just brush the top of the cake with 1 tbsp milk, 10mins before the ending time to get a nice polishing glaze. Allow the cake to cool down for 10mins, then invert and remove the butter paper. Then cut/slice them into pieces and enjoy!
Have updated the pics with stepwise. I baked this cake in a round cake tin for hubbys bday as this is his favourite cake 🙂 You can use a loaf pan and bake the cake too.
- Use curd at room temperature.Do not try to reduce oil and curd, I tried once to reduce oil and the cake was a great flop 😉 But still there is one way add 1 and 1/4 cups of curd and 1/4 cup oil, I assure you with the same results.
- Also after the batter is ready, dont allow the batter to sit for more than he preheating time as baking soda reacts faster. I have a reader who gave me this tip as her cake went hard as she kept the batter for 30mins after mixing.
- And while inserting fork or toothpick try checking in the center if its cooked completely or not.If suppose even after the specified time, the center of the cake isnt cooked and is slightly sticky?! dont worry just cover the top of the cake with butter paper and bake it for 5more mins,it will be perfect. The butter paper covering will avoid more browning on top at the same time the center will be cooked perfectly.
- Dont doubt on using curd, the taste of curd is totally not shown in the cake. You can use homemade curd or use nestle curd which is very thick and works good too.
- You can use icing sugar too, I used normal sugar only. I felt 3/4 cup of sugar was enough but the orginal recipe called for 1 cup. If you have a very sweet tooth then use 1 cup of sugar.
- As I always mention select a pan such that the batter is close to 3/4th of it or slightly above 1/2 of it. And the time for baking depends on the cake pan and oven too mine got baked in exactly 35mins.