Chow Chow Kootu Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Chow chow(Chayote) – 1 skin scrapped & cut into small cubes
Toor Dhal – a fistful
Big Onion – 1 small sized chopped finely
Turmeric powder – a generous pinch
Salt – to taste
To grind together:
Grated coconut – 2 tbsp
Jeera / cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Oil -1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Urad Dhal – 1/2 tsp
Hing(Perungayam) – a generous pinch
Curry leaves – few
Green chillies – 1 slitted
- Scrap the outerskin of the veggie and chop them finely.Grind coconut and jeera to a coarse paste and set aside.Pressure cook toor dal with water until mushy and soft. Mash it well with a laddle and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, urad dhal, green chillies and curry leaves.Then add onion and hing saute till onion shrinks. Add chow chow along with turmeric powder, saute for 2mins.
- Then add cooked dhal and required water cook covered until the veggie becomes soft,add required salt.Allow it to boil and Keep stirring in between.
- Then add the coconut paste and allow it to boil till it becomes thick.Switch off and serve with hot rice.
Serve hot with rice!
- Add the coconut paste only after the veggie is cooked.
- The curry will thicken with time so switch it off accordingly.
- You can also replace toor dhal with chana dal.